Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Monster_UK

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Am I right in thinking that a Zetec 2.0 blacktop should be running at around 92oC?

When I bought my supper six it had cooling issues and a leaking radiator. I’ve replaced the rad now and been out for a 40 min shake down run. Temps on the engine were 77-82 oC when running around the country roads and 82-84oC when in traffic in town. This feels a little cold (better than the super hot I had!!).

Pretty much as soon as I start the engine the radiator starts to warm. Me guess is the someone before removed the thermostat as part of an attempt to solve the overheating issue. Does that seem sensible? I can’t see why I would not put a 92oC thermostat back in now that I have efficient cooling?

I haven’t driven the car much since I bought it and I’m still holding out for a fine weekend or two to get out in it. I know running an engine a little cold in the long term will lead to excessive wear. Am I likely to do any serious damage over a few 100 miles?

TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #2 
That does seem a bit cool now. The thermostat could have been removed, or it's stuck open.

In my black top, I've been using an 82 degree stat in the form of a QTH115, which runs mid 80's in normal use and up to the high 80's when stuck in traffic on a hot day.
furryeggs

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Some people don’t run the bypass on the thermostat housing, tiger told me to drill a small hole in the thermostat to act as a the bypass. I struggled with getting temps up with it like this, temp wouldn’t get over 85. plumbed in the bypass and now everything sorted. 92 degree stat fitted and temps hold pretty much bang on that. Been told zetecs need to run in the early 90’s.
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #4 
They run hotter in their native installations for emissions purposes. However, the hotter they get, the more the timing needs to be pulled to prevent detonation.

If the engine is too cold, you get premature wear, but if you run them a bit cooler, you can get a bit more power. The 85 degree stat was standard in one of the silver top Zetec models.

Mine was a new crate engine and has been in the car since 2003 and when I did the cam belt at the start of this year, the insides of the cam cover still looked brand new.
Monster_UK

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Hi everyone,

This is really useful.

I’ll add it to my list of winter tasks to investigate if there is a thermostat and if so if it has been drilled (I’m assuming that’s what bypassed means?)

Thanks,

Tim

TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #6 
The cooling system has a circuit that goes through the thermostat and radiator, another that goes through the heater and a final one which bypasses both and just circulates water through the engine to warm things up quicker, again this is for emissions purposes, but does help with premature wear.

Earlier in the year, I updated my website cooling pages as there is a lot of misinformation about how the Zetec cooling system actually works. I didn't get as far as uploading it as the final section still needs completing, but I have just uploaded it now.

I have had to re-upload my entire site as I'd made significant template changes to make the site compliant with WCAG accessibility requirements.  Therefore, if anyone has any problems with the site, firstly clear your browser cache (a good guide is here) and if you still have problems, drop me a message.

The coolant diagrams are at http://www.toyne.org.uk/docs-cooling.html
Navigiter

Forum Donor 2017
Reply with quote  #7 
I have specifically "Bookmarked" the coolant diagram page given above!

Navigator.
Monster_UK

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Excellent site and excellent guide... thank you.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club