Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
E46m3c

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Guys,

Appreciate all your advice first.

Got the Tiger now so looking into towing options. Ive bought a saab 95 1.9 tid and can only tow 3500kg due to license.

There is quite a lot on the market. Im thinking of a brian james c4. I dont know any other brands so if anyone knows others they would recommend let me know.

Im thinking i will buy new, prices seem very firm on ebay so might be false economy to buy 2nd hand.

Cheers
Chris
JohnTigerCub

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #2 

Lots of brands out there.

First measure the width of the rear track,outside to outside of the tyres.

Then look at trailer widths on offer.

It is also possible to fit traveling wheels to the rears if you find a good trailer that is a tad narrow.  
I used mondeo emergency wheels which I used on my Avon.

Give me a shout if you need them.
E46m3c

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #3 
Good idea john.

Dimensions:

1.76m wide
3.2m long
garage is 4.9m long

recommend me some other brands i should be checking?
JohnTigerCub

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #4 

I have a single axle Woodford.

Overall length 4240
Overall width 2110
Bed length 2960
Bed width 1660

I fitted travelling wheels and my Avon fitted a treat

E46m3c

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #5 
is there any argument of 2 vs 4 wheels?
JohnTigerCub

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #6 

Some will say that 4 wheels give a more balance tow and in the event of a blow out more stable.

Single axle trailers are lighter and easier to move with no load on.

twin axle trailers are more expensive

Single axle trailers reduce the towed weight

I have had single axle trailers for 15 years with no problems.
Some people forget that the towing speed limit is 60 mph and wonder why trailers get a wriggle on at 90 mph and go loopy in a blow out.

It is down to individual choice really
E46m3c

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #7 
ok. Thanks towing stig.

Let me do some more googling.

much appreciated.
catman

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #8 
Bespoke built single axle that fits in my garage

Ed
JohnTigerCub

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #9 

not long left on this, could be a real bargain
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Second-Hand-Brian-James-Clubman-Car-Trailer-Transporter-Fully-Serviced-/221965998348?hash=item33ae34590c:g:uIwAAOSwnipWauNU

This is a good price.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brian-James-Clubman-Trailer-motorhome-tow-car-smart-car-trailer-/172009078359?hash=item280c8a3e57:g:RmAAAOSw7FRWVIDR

Good price for a twin axle
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-transporter-trailer-/252186579794?hash=item3ab77dd352:g:7ZEAAOSw9mFWG-C2

Outstanding price for a twin axle
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tandem-Axle-Car-Transporter-Trailer-with-Tiltbed-13-2-x-6-4-/221959084518?hash=item33adcad9e6:g:qJwAAOSwnH1WYUb5

Another
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMART-TRAILERS-10FT-1300KG-SMART-SMALL-CAR-TRANSPORTER-TRAILER-LOCK-RAMPS-/181959523083?hash=item2a5da1fb0b:g:93sAAOSwHQ9WXaad

Another
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Car-Transporter-Recovery-Trailer-12-FT-1300KG-/291638650588?hash=item43e704a6dc:g:8pgAAOSwo0JWPeWA

E46m3c

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #10 
After speaking to BJT i think im going to order a new one. C4. 2600 quids.

What do you guys do for fuel on trackdays? Do you strap a couple of jerry cans to the trailer? Do you need to put a warning sticker on the trailer if carrying X amount of fuel? Ideally the venues will have petrol, but thats not always the case.

Im assuming i should get 3 20min sessions out of 1 tank or there abouts. So 2 Jerry cans plus a full tank should just about do for a day at the track?
E46m3c

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #11 
Im thinking just 4 wheel straps is sufficint to hold the car onto the trailer. no need for chocs?
JohnTigerCub

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #12 

Straps are mine.

Chocs are only needed as bribes for the wife when she finds out how much you have spent  [eek]
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
I have 3 x 20 lt jerry cans for track days plus put some fuel into the cars tank to make sure that there is enough for the day, so thats about 80 lt in total.

I also run the car on the premium fuel with the higher octane to make sure that you are getting the most out a good track day.

As for tying the car down I have always used straps that go over all 4 wheels which  then allows the car to move on its own suspension.

I have found that you also need just webbed straps so that the wheels do not get marked by the metal rings on some straps.

I have stops fitted by BJT so you can drive forward and stop in the same place each time.

Pull the front straps up first so the wheels are tight to the stops and then tighten the rear straps..... that way nothing is going to move.

Gazza 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 
I forgot to mention that it is worth considering adding some extras if you are getting a trailer built such as:

Tyre Rack - Saves filling the car up with spare tyres.

Centre Board to save falling in the middle of the trailer.

Extra Long Ramps to make it easier when loading and un-loading the car.

Fold up draw bar so the car can fit in the garage on the trailer plus you can fit extra locks to the locking pins to make it more difficult to steal.

Tow hitch with special key to prevent theft.

Stops on the trailer 

Gazza

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #15 
I ended up going for a fountain 1500. It was the same trailer the previous owner of the car was using. If i knew/decided at the time it would have saved myself a 500 miles drive.

Tyre rack, center board, 4.7m long so fits in my garage. For the ramps i just take my plastic low entry ramps and use them to extend it. works a treat.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club