Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
brettd

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #1 

aaaggghhh!

I've really had it now with the DVLA and their red tape! I passed my SVA weeks ago now, and I STILL haven't got a tax disc or registration for the car. The car's great to look at, but I just want to drive the bl**dy thing now!!! It's a wonder that anyone drives legally any more, because they make it so bl**dy difficult!!

Here's a short recap of the process so far...

1. First day after passing the SVA I phone the DVLA, and am told that "The Kit Car inspector is away at the moment. He'll be back in 2 weeks." Annoying, but OK. But, when he did finally arrive he was here for about 3 minutes...or maybe only 2...and as he was closing his door he says "I'm out now for the rest of the week. I'll deal with the paperwork when I'm back." Not impressed. Especially as this was on a Monday morning!!

2. 2 weeks later I get a letter from DVLA stating that they can now continue with the application, but they need insurance details and, of course, some money. Off I go with my new cover note...only to be turned away because f****** Footman James hadn't signed it. Cue impolite phone call to FJ.

3. A week later...yes a week (maybe I should have been more polite!)...I get the new cover note and I'm back to the DVLA. They happily take all the paperwork and say..."The kit car manager isn't in at the moment, I'll put it in his file." Come on, how easy is this guy's job?!? He's never at work but drives around in some flashy chavved up Merc! I wonder what he really does all day, because he obviously doesn't really work for the DVLA!

So, nearly 2 months on and I'm going back in again tomorrow to kick them yet again. I still haven't even got the tax disc yet, let alone the paperwork to go and get some plates! If I'm lucky I'll get to drive it before the one and day of summer comes and goes...

A word of advice to anyone else getting close to the end of their build - try to get the inspections all done long before you pass the SVA if you can! My DVLA office didn't want to know until after the SVA, but I'd have pushed a lot harder if I'd known how difficult they'd make it!!

My whinge probably isn't of much interest to anyone, but do I feel better for having a good rant (although the keyboard has suffered a bit)!! My wife's getting sick of my complaining about this as well, so I thought I'd bore you guys with it instead!

Next instalment tomorrow...

Dave

SteveV

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #2 

Deepest sympathies.

Dealing with government departments is never a joy as you always appear to be at their mercy..........and there is absolutely nothing that you can do about it!!!!

I should know as I spent 15 years working for the Ministry of Defense and even as 'one of them' I was di**ed around something rotten. Some of them need to feel important by constantly pi**ing you about, which somehow gives them a bizarre sense of fulfillment.

However, my experience of SVA & the registration process was nothing short of amazing. SVAed on Wednesday, Registered and on the road on Friday.

A big Thank you to  IPSWICH DVLA who proved that they are not "all the same".

Steve

Antony

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #3 

You have my sympathies Dave. I can't imagine how cheesed off I'd be if I couldn't drive for that long after passing my SVA. If you can take a hit with the phone bill, I'd just keep ringing, and ringing, and ringing, and ringing until I got some joy. Plus, if it's not too far out of your way, just keep on visiting, all the time. Surely, as well, this guy has a boss - might be worth trying to have a word, I mean, two MONTHS?? Hardly reasonable to keep you waiting that long.

althecate1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 

It would be interesting, after you finally get it registered, to write a letter of complaint to the DVLA in Swansea with a copy to your local office to see what sort of reaction you get.

Alec

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by althecate1

It would be interesting, after you finally get it registered, to write a letter of complaint to the DVLA in Swansea with a copy to your local office to see what sort of reaction you get.

Alec

I can imagine the reply.......
"We're really sorry but the kit car complaints manager is out at the moment so we'll put it on his pile!!"
alanwhale

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 

Sorry to hear of all the delays Dave. Fingers crossed for you that they will now finally get there act together as it looks like the weather is going to warm up a bit.

re. SteveV "SVA Wednesday, Registered and on the road on Friday.

A big Thank you to  IPSWICH DVLA who proved that they are not "all the same".

Must be an east / west thing. SVA Tuesday, Registered and on the road on Thursday.

A big Thank you to  Chelmsford DVLA who also confirmed they are not "all the same".

Alan

SteveV

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #7 

Alan

Don't tell everybody about the east/west divide or we'll be invaded by the rampaging savages from the west who'll be clogging up our SVA centres.

Steve

yellowcat2002

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #8 

Hi

Can I suggest you move to Wales the guy in the Cardiff office is great turn up with the documents and cheque that's it. Furthermore he's really helpful on the phone. Looks like you've met the pits.

Regards

Haydn

brettd

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #9 

Hi all

Finally! Today the DVLA finally finished the process off and I've got a tax disc and some plates! Hurrah!

Regarding the east/west divide thing....I'm originally from Colchester, so next time (!!) maybe I'll pop back to see my parents and get everything sorted on the same day!

Message to Haydn...I live in Wales now but I work in Bristol, so I've had to deal with both the Cardiff and the Bristol office. That's probably why there was such a delay. To be honest, I didn't see much of a difference between the two though!

Oh well, it's finally over and I can get on with the fun bit now. Unfortunately, just as I'm writing this it's started to p*** down outside, but no worries I'll fix the plates on tonight and give it a blast first thing in the morning! I'm sure the neighbours won't mind.

Hopefully I'll see most of you at some events this summer.

Cheers all,

Dave

Antony

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #10 

Yay - well done Dave. Sod the rain - get yerself out there and go and get wet!

Looking forward to seeing another SWTOCer at future meets!

yellowcat2002

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #11 

Hi

Great news did you speak to Alun Thomas at Cardiff? I found him very helpful.

Regards

Haydn

SteveV

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #12 

Dave

Glad to hear that you are finally on the road.

It's a well known fact that post SVA & registration that it rains for 40 days & 40 nights, although with you living in Wales now it's probably 50 Days & 50 Nights!!!!

There has to be some price to pay for having all that wonderful scenery, and the best roads to play on.

Steve

Aneurin

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #13 

Was wondering why I hadn't seen any kitcar in the Bridgend area (apart from a westfield. Now that it's fully legal, I'll definetly be listening and looking out for the supersix. Only live about 5miles down the road from Bridgend.

I just can't wait until the CAT is on the road.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club