Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
JimM

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Looking for very cheap / free? Laptop to enable update to my Megajolt system
Needs to be the Old Serial Port style.

Tried a USB to Serial connector but could not communicate with the Megajolt ECU.

cheers
Jim

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #2 
Was the USB to serial adaptor a cheap one?  We evaluated lots at work for connecting to our networking kit, and the only ones that consistently worked had the FTDI US232B chipset.

They aren't the cheapest, but I've been using them for well over 10 years and never had one fail.  Cables based on this chipset are also reported to work with the Megajolt and the link below is where we buy ours from:

http://www.easysync-ltd.com/product/594/es-u-1001-c10.html
JimM

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
USB#1.jpg 
Part was purchased from Maplin … don't have exact cost but believe it to be around £25.
see attached.
USB#2.jpg 

The one you suggested has only 4" cable, do you use any special cable for an extension to reach to the Megajolt.
Might need to bite the bullet and purchase the one you identified.

cheers
Jim

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #4 
They do one with 1m of usb cable too: http://www.easysync-ltd.com/product/595/es-u-1001-c100.html

I don't personally use it with a Megajolt, but others have reported this adaptor works with it.  For my networking kit, I have half a dozen cables that are wired slightly differently to each other to connect between this and the kit.

If the Megajolt has a trailing cable with a female 9-pin plug to connect directly in to a serial port (a quick Google suggests this is the case for the standard RJ-11 to DB9 cable), I would suggest you need a straight through cable if you need to make it longer.
bigkiltedwarrior

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
As above, the FTDI US232B chipset adaptor works a treat with my Megajolt and my MacBook Pro 2013.  Took a bit of setting up with installing the correct drivers and getting a windows environment set up but works a treat 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club