Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
robcod3

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #1 
Out for a spin to my parents and I noticed as I was coming up to a roundabout my clutch cable must of gone, somehow I managed to get it into 4th and keep momentum to get around the roundabout, next roundabout was due in 2 miles which gave me plenty of time to worry how I was going to make it, by this stage I managed to get it into 5th but nothing else, bearing in mind this was on an incline(knights hill, Kings Lynn on the way to the coast if you know it). These are busy roads and I really didn't fancy stopping as my parents place was about 5 mile away. Anyway by luck once again I managed to somehow find a gap and by backing off a bit from the car in front managed to get over the roundabout. I had by this stage worked out the best route that would get me the closet to my parents before finally having to stop somewhere, traffic lights etc. anyway this went on corner after corner , turn after turn and every time I managed to somehow to get round slow corners in 5th juddering along. Eventually about 2 ,miles out I was pretty happy that I could at worst push it to my parents but somehow managed to make it to their estate and decided to just go for it round corners in 5th. Anyway I made it and like most things you'd have to be there to appreciate it and how difficult it was and how lucky I was time and time again. In the end it was just the bolt that traps the end of the cable in the clutch lever at the bell housing that had come undone so was a quick fix.

Up until then it had been a blast driving round on a nice day.
Oh and thanks to tiger once again for really coming through with my starter motor troubles Saturday, Paul even gave up his own time he was meant to spend on sorting out his race car. Cheers
greengreenwood7

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
fair play,had the same thing happen a cple of times , last time 10 miles into a group drive out - managed to limp to brekkie about 25 miles on, and then by hook/crook get back home about 45 miles ...luckily most of which was motorway - certainly improved my technique of clutchless changes!

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Little things like that make you realise what a good invention nyloc nuts are.
Raceline Water Rail. Webcon Alpha.
Powerspeed exhaust. (NOW SOLD)

New car: MGA 1600 MKII

"Growing Old is Compulsory..........Growing Up is Optional"
robcod3

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #4 
That's the weird thing it was a nyloc, I can't work out how it came to completely come off.

Wow that's some serious distance. I never really understand the clutch less change, how do you do it? Presumably you can't do it from a standing start?
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Glad you made it M8. For future ref, I am only a few miles from that location. If you are up this way and need any help, give me a call (PM me for telephone number if you would like it).

Would have happy to help with tools or a tow rope if needed, even get the car in my garage if need to.

Ian
kai

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #6 
Sounds like a stressful journey but glad you made it.
Not teaching granny to suck eggs, but you know it's not that hard to drive without the clutch by matching revs and road speed to gears?
I had to drive 30 miles home once with no clutch and - apart from having to stop at one set of traffic lights where I stalled to stop but restarted using 1st and the battery, did the whole journey.....
As I say, not taking away from your 5th gear skills - you did well to keep up momentum!
Kai
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Sounds like a stressful journey but glad you made it. Not teaching granny to suck eggs, but you know it's not that hard to drive without the clutch by matching revs and road speed to gears? I had to drive 30 miles home once with no clutch and - apart from having to stop at one set of traffic lights where I stalled to stop but restarted using 1st and the battery, did the whole journey..... As I say, not taking away from your 5th gear skills - you did well to keep up momentum! Kai

Agree with that. It is a skill worth learning. I was taught how to drive that way on one of the advanced driving courses I did with the Army and it is something I still practice now. Like Kai say's, getting started is the trickyest part.
robcod3

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #8 
Blimey I'm sort of glad it wasn't just me that's experienced it. That's really interesting about being able to change gear without a clutch. Now a feel a prat for trying to get round in 5th
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
LOL, Pop round and see me one day when you are in the area, I'll show you how to do it.

Or maybe I'll see you at Tiger Racing on Saturday.
robcod3

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #10 
Yes I'm hoping to get over Saturday so shall make myself known to you then. Anyone else going?
pauliog

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
My clutch cable snapped on a motorway on the way home from Scotland.....and a month later in the centre of Chester. ..much to my embarassment.
As stated, simply turn off the motor...stick it in first or second, and 'crank' start by turning the key and keeping your foot on the acclerator while still in gear...the car will move forwards, and fire up. It will then move off....Useful for getting out of difficult situations.
After that, just change up by moving into beutral furst of all, and matching the revs.....same as double declutching principles...and again down the box.
A faff...but absolutely no need to stay in fifth......I've driven thrty miles home without a clutch cable like this.
pauliog

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliog
My clutch cable snapped on a motorway on the way home from Scotland.....and a month later in the centre of Chester. ..much to my embarassment.
As stated, simply turn off the motor...stick it in first or second, and 'crank' start by turning the key and keeping your foot on the acclerator while still in gear...the car will move forwards, and fire up. It will then move off....Useful for getting out of difficult situations.
After that, just change up by moving into neutral first of all, and matching the revs.....same as double declutching principles...and again down the box.
A faff...but absolutely no need to stay in fifth......I've driven thrty miles home without a clutch cable like this.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club