Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
TigerTigs

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,

Can someone advise what a good pressure would be for road use? 26psi all round?

vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
18 all round for me ( Cat ), too high and you will bob around all over the road. I live in the sticks and a few miles from a decent main road and need to soften the bumps.
TigerTigs

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
ok, I guess because of the lightness of the cat, they dont need to be so high. I've got them at 32psi at the moment... might explain the hairy moments
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Don't forget a Cat is only about 650kg and 32 would be ok on a average tin top weighing loads more. I also have stiffer springs on the rear to stop it bottoming out.
The Cat and Super Cat are the same car but the rear arches are a bit wider to take bigger wheels. I have built and run both, now run the Cat only.
TigerTigs

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Down the pressures will come then πŸ˜‰

AndyPearce

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
I’m running about 16 psi in my super 6
TigerTigs

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
thank you. I'm not sure if I can cope with that under 20psi, ill take them down to 24 and go from there πŸ˜‰
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
You will find that setting the cold pressure between 16 - 18 psi will give you the best ride and handling.....

The tyre pressure will quickly rise to around the 22 psi mark when the car is driven even on the road.

On a track day you will need to reset the tyre pressures before going out on track each time to get the best from the car.

Using tyre pressures that are too high is the best way to get the front to under steer and the back end to step out and put you through a hedge if you are not careful.

Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Definitely 16 -18 psi if you wish to retain possession of your fillings! Anything more and you'll spend most of the time airborne - and at risk of breaking more suspension bits as you crash from bump to bump on even the most benign of surfaces.

Michael.

Spent it on fast women and loose cars.
AndyPearce

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTigs
thank you. I'm not sure if I can cope with that under 20psi, ill take them down to 24 and go from there πŸ˜‰

I know how you feel Rob, I was slightly taken aback too when advised to use 16 psi when I bought the car but trust us it’s the right thing to do!
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
I agree, 16-18 psi all round. You will be amazed at the difference in ride and handling.
Dimbit

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
Many posts on this. The answer in all of them is 16-18 psi and the final post is always "Oh, yah, thanks guys. Much better now."

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
It feels so wrong! I get tyre squeal when going around a roundabout (slowly) I guess that is from the LSD?

I'll get a much better trye gauge, but yes it certainly seems much better..... Dam you Dimbit for beating me to the end answer πŸ˜‰
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 
I get squeals as well and have a standard diff . Sounds like a boy racer !!
Been out for a run this afternoon and it is worse in the hot weather. 
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #15 
See check list from Quaife for your LSD to confirm that it is functioning correctly...

[image]

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #16 
hi Gazza,

can't see the image sorry, but thanks for replying
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #17 
Trying again... Quaife Check List.png 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #18 
tyre squeal ...is the alignment correct? I went out as a passenger in another kit and the tyre noise was unreal, turned out the front wheels were pointing in all directions.....

as for the tyre pressure question....this will prob seem rude, but it's not meant that way. I don't quite understand why occasionally folks ask for an opinion and then fly in the face of the consensus?
To answer the point..on the road 16 for me with toyo r1r's or r888r's...on track i drop them a smidge.
Have run between 16-17 for intergalatic miles and the car have handled well.....only time it was skittish was when a pals garage changed all the tyres and the saturday apprentice stuck 30 in all round, felt like i was driving on glass.

Each to their own - kits are individual, i've been a passenger/driver in umpteen pals cars, some of which had awful brakes, iffy handling and the like....but they chose to drive around what i perceived to be an issue and had fun. A way of saying, stick with 26/32/38psi for long enough and it'll feel fine.....but its unlikely unless you have a different set up elsewhere to be optimum.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #19 
alignment was well off!

not sure if you got the wrong end of the stick, but i did lower my pressures, i just said it felt wrong doing so
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club