Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
SteveCB

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
As my electronic speedo gauge is not working, trying to work out the location of sensor, I think I've found it but need to ensure that it right one!
Wigster

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Is it the Tiger one? I seem to remember that it picks up the signal from a magnet fastened onto the propshaft
SteveCB

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Yep tiger's. Not 100% on the location of it
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #4 
There are usually 3 ways it's done.

1) You have a disc sandwiched between the front of the diff and the prop shaft, with a sensor pointing to it.

2) You have a sensor pointing to either the bolts bolting prop to diff or to the universal joint on the prop shaft.

3) You have magnets glued to the prop shaft somewhere and a sensor pointing to them.

The sensor is around the size of a spark plug, so should be reasonably easy to see if you either jack the car up on axle stands, or take the tunnel top off.

Rarer ways are to use one of the ABS sensors if the donor had those, but that's not very common on our cars, or even a sensor which fits directly into the original gearbox speedometer drive, but again that's not that common.
TigerEd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Hi, mine is a small M8 sized sensor with two small magnets on the prop next to the diff, supplied by ETB.
Schrodinger

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
As you have a Six which has a live axle the sensor is more likely to be at the gearbox end of the prop shaft. I could also possibly have an adaptor on the speedo drive.
Are you sure it's electronic?

TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #7 
My ETB sensor looks similar to the one on this page:

I guess the ETB M8 one looks like this:

The locaion is still likely to be similar and it should be fairly obvious with a device looking like a bolt with wires coming out of one end and the other pointing somewhere towards the prop shaft.

SteveCB

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger
As you have a Six which has a live axle the sensor is more likely to be at the gearbox end of the prop shaft. I could also possibly have an adaptor on the speedo drive.
Are you sure it's electronic?

Yes, the dial is digital one so my thinking electronic.
SteveCB

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Finally gotten around to fixing it, the electronic speedo dial (ETB) provided by Tiger, the needle doesn’t move at all and the mileage remain blank.

Located the sensor at prop shaft and diff and noticed there is no magnetic on it. Is the loss of magnetic the reason for no movement on needle and blank miles reading? I think there is more to it.

Bought the magnetic disc (tiny!) and ready to fit it over the weekend but would like to ensure that i’ve done everything to make it work!

Any other tips will be appreciated
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #10 
If the mileage isn't showing on the speedometer, check the power and earth feeds as the mileage should display as soon as the ignition is turned on.

If the power and earth are fine, I would recommend you give ETB a call as I've always found them to be very helpful.
SteveCB

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Tested the earth and power feed and all appear to be ok. It look like the dial is dead, decided to go for mechanical one. If anyone got spare Tiger (ETB) mechanical speedo dial and please get in touch!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club