Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Bakerwoodlands

Forum Donor 2018
Reply with quote  #1 
I have just purchased a 2005 build Tiger Avon. Although the builder has done a great job he cannot remember what the two red LED lights are for that he fitted on the dash which were off when I got it but have now come on. He thought they might be change indicator lights from the Alpha management but can't be sure. They are not ignition, oil or charging, has anyone any ideas on what they may be, when they should come on and how I can turn them off?

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #2 
The Alpha has a shift light output. This comes on when turning the ignition on until the engine is running and then again when you're near the rev limiter.

The Alpha system should have its own wiring loom, so the easy way to see of it is to do with that is to pull the fuse for that and turn the ignition on. It won't start, but if they still light, they're something else.

My first guess would be alternator charge and/or brake fluid/handbrake warning if it's not the ECU.
Bakerwoodlands

Forum Donor 2018
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for reply. Am now confident they are wired into the shift light output of the alpha ignition management but can't understand why they are now on all of the time - wasn't sure if it was a basic type of fault warning/code. If they don't go out over time may just have to live with it or disconnect. Also don't know if you can help but I am down as a non member, would like to join but can't see how? Also how can I find other Tiger Owners in the Grantham area? Thanks again.

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #4 
I seem to recall they do indicate faults too, but I have the injection system so can't really help there.  Giving Webcon a call might help as the technical chaps seem to enjoy what they're doing and are willing to help.

You're showing as a non-member as people were registering, not adding anything to the forum, and then wanting me to validate their "membership" so they could get discounts on insurance which became tiresome as I run the forum in my spare time out of my own pocket and some donations, which don't go anywhere near to the tangible running costs, let alone my time.

When you have made at least 5 valuable posts, or if you make a donation towards the running costs, your status changes to be a "Valued Member" and you can use all forum features.

Bakerwoodlands

Forum Donor 2018
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for reply. the original builder kept a comprehensive build folder which included the Alpha manual so had e mailed the address listed but was told they gave up distribution two years ago, no longer have technical support but did send me the last version they had of the installation instructions which unfortunately gave nothing further. No doubt will be making good use of the forum over the next few months as I find out what I don't know so would gladly contribute to the sites running costs if you could give me details how.

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #6 
The shift lights are fed +12v from the ignition supply, the other side then connects in to the Webcon loom.

Under normal use, this is at +12v so the lights don't light as the potential is the same both sides of the light.  The ECU then switches this to earth at the shift point, or possibly in the event of an error condition so it lights up.

I assume the engine seems to run smoothly and no spluttering, timing issues both at idle and speed with different throttle openings?

If that is the case, I would hazard a guess that the problem is either with the wiring of the lights, or the shift light output from the ECU and just disconnecting the supply to the lights will remove the problem, albeit not fixing it.
Schrodinger

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Welcome to the wonderful world of Tigers[biggrin] . As I understand it Tiger are now owners of the Alpha rights so you could try ringing them.
Bakerwoodlands

Forum Donor 2018
Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you all. I did try Tiger first but they did not seem aware of the shift light option but offered to investigate if I can confirm wiring colour. On the first drive back there was some hesitancy around 2-3000 rpm which I had put down to progression from idle to mains as they were out of balance and running a tad lean. Seems to be a lot better now though had to use the air bypass screws on 1 and 4 as I think over time the butterfly spindle may have twisted slightly but only half a turn to get the airflow balanced across all 4. Given error option I also change the plugs given they were circa 13 years old and noticed one of the HT leads did not initially fully seat on the plug so wonder if it recognised a higher output voltage hence the error signal? no big issue as as you say can always disconnect. I assume timing wise I can just attach a strobe and check timing via the crankshaft pulley? Thanks again all, anyone in the Grantham area?

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #9 
The shift light control is a standard part of the Alpha wiring loom, be it the ignition only, or the injection kit and has been on all Alpha variants since at least 2000 when Tiger first started using these products.

The Standard Motor Products team, who were the distributor when I got my kit were fantastic.  They knew the products inside out and, when I had a misdemeanour and blew mine up (a spanner on the battery positive terminal accidentally caught the metal ECU case with a resultant "pop"), they told me exactly which parts to replace to get it working if I wanted to do it myself.  I opted to send it to them as they could fully bench test it was fine before returning it to me.

There is more to a supporting and delivering a product than owning the rights [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club