Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
AndyPearce

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
The last couple of times I’ve driven the tiger I’ve found 2nd gear increasingly difficult to select , sometimes having to try several times and forcing it into gear. This is only when changing down gear on braking though, if I’m changing from first to second at high revs it goes in no problem. It also goes into gear no problem with the engine off.

I’m not very mechanically minded (slowly learning since I got the tiger) but my dim distant memory tells me it could be the synchromesh. Am I barking up,the wrong tree? If so what’s the likely cause of the problem? If it is the synchro the what’s the solution? I have a track day tomorrow so guess I will be finding a way to avoid 2nd bear on the way back down through the box!

Any help appreciated
Piggotts11

New User - Not A Club Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Like yourself I too am a newbie when it comes to Tigers and also I'm not mechanically minded either, but have had similar issues regarding 2nd gear. I am running the type 9 gearbox, which I assume you have too (seems pretty much standard from what I've read)?
Does it seem more problematic once warm/hot?
I found my issues resolved after moving up the clutch cable by a couple of clicks, have you tried that?
AndyPearce

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggotts11
Like yourself I too am a newbie when it comes to Tigers and also I'm not mechanically minded either, but have had similar issues regarding 2nd gear. I am running the type 9 gearbox, which I assume you have too (seems pretty much standard from what I've read)?
Does it seem more problematic once warm/hot?
I found my issues resolved after moving up the clutch cable by a couple of clicks, have you tried that?

Thanks, I look into that. I’m unsure why slackness in the clutch cable would only affect the 2nd gear? It is a type 9 and doesn’t really change whether the car is cold, warm or red hot from track laps!
JimM

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 

If you have an extension fitted to the gearbox then this may need slight adjustment.

Another area to investigate is if there is a saddle fitted between the gear lever and the shaft in the gearbox. This takes up any slack and makes a huge improvement.

cheers
Jim

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Saddle ....

https://www.bearingkits.co.uk/TYPE-9-GEARBOX-GEARSTICK-PLASTIC-SADDLE/144.htm

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club