Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
TigerTigs

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
So I had an incident yesterday where the O/S front rocker snapped where it joins the coil over.

IMG_1912.jpg 

I now have two options. Tiger Racing have some parts available which is helpful, or I get this welded and strengthened on both sides.

The stress fracture is caused by the top of the coilover hitting the rocker when the suspension is fully compressed. Tiger Racing recommend lifting the coilovers slightly, the chap said nearly every cat he see's is too low on the front.

I will do my best to keep you updated

TigerTigs

TigerTigs

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Ok so good news. £280 for a pair of rockers, bushes and the bolt (forget the name). Just need to fit them and see if I damaged anything else.

Thumbs up to Tiger Racing for helping.
martinq357

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Have a look at spherical bearing top mounts for the shockers. I found these improved the ride quality but more importantly, kept the shocks vertical under compression as they are narrower. These eliminate the twisting moment on the top mounts, reducing the stress on the rocker arm brackets.

I got mine direct from Spax but it was a few years ago. Might be worth giving them a call.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
thanks martin. Are they specific for the Tiger Supercat or from another car?
TigerTigs

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
So the rockers arrived and don't fit the ball joints. Tiger Racing said they should... Anyways, off to beg borrow and steal until i get it back on said road.
martinq357

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
The spherical bearings were generic. A colleague of mine was building a Fury at the time and also had concerns about the miss-alignment so contacted Spax. As it happens the bearings fitted mine perfectly so I ordered a set for myself.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Martin, I'll take a look at what I can find.

New ball joints have been ordered today, as the last ones not in a good shape. The fan on the alternator pulley took a bit of a whack, so that's needing replacing too.

TigerTigs

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Ok, so the cat is back on the road!

As for now, I have used the parts from Tiger Racing, so new ball joints, new rocker arms. The alternator fan got damaged when the rocker snapped so a new one of those sorted too.

The nose has been raised on the coil overs about an inch. Much better ground clearance.

The geometry has been reset (according to the chap who owns the garage) so the car does feel a little different. In fact it snaps very easily and the front end doesn't appear to have so much initial bite, but works wonders shortly after turn in.

I'll keep an eye out for stress fractures although I'm hoping these parts will last a while.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club