Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Monster_UK

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,

New Tiger owner here... I need to replace the front shock absorbers on my Tiger Super Six.  Can anyone point me in the direction of their specification or share experience about which works well?

I'm setting the car up (eventually) for track days so don't mind leaning towards performance.

Thanks,

Tim

Andromeda

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
See if this helps, it was posted to me after enquiring about rear spring

Back when I built my car (2001), I found it bottomed out with two people on-board, so went down the route of fitting stiffer springs and bought stiffer 325lb/in springs which solved my problems at the time. Others went up to 350lb/in.

They're 9" x 2 1.4" coilovers and you can get them from many places - Rally Design, Merlin Motorsport etc.

Earlier this year, I found my front damper was leaking, so looked into replacing them all, and I came across this post: https://forums.tigerownersclub.co.uk/post/show_single_post?pid=1304254803&postcount=7&forum=425180

My brother already had adjustable dampers front and rear (Avo's) and we got talking. He beat me to it, copying @jannick's setup and said it transformed the car with adjustable dampers all around, 8" x 110lb/in springs on the front and 9" x 250lb/in springs on the rear. The key not being the spring rates, but the damping setup - at the front, by being a lot softer, it allows the suspension to follow the road better, and at the rear making the damping harder prevents the short duration undulations which result in bottoming out the suspension.

After much research, I ordered a set of ProTech adjustable dampers for the front and rear. I went with spherical bearings rather than rubber/polyurethane bushes as the Cat suspension is slightly out of alignment, which the spherical bearings take up nicely. My springs arrived late yesterday evening, so hopefully I'll get them installed this weekend after I've done all the other jobs that are lined up.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks...that’s really useful. It’s protechs that are on there at the moment but not sure which model.
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #4 
My post that has been quoted was in relation to the Cat/Super Cat which has inboard front shock absorbers.

I'm sure similar dynamics would be in play with the Super Six, but the moments are different and therefore spring rates and damping would differ.
Monster_UK

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Yup I spotted that it was a different model Tiger.  I'm a little way from spring rates and damping and more at the stage of figuring out which shocks would actually fit [wink]  I'm pretty good at the spanner in hand stuff but as a total novice to kit cars and Tigers the bewildering array of products that are all slightly different is intimidating!  Perversely as a motorsport fan I'm probably more comfortable with the (theory of) spring rate and damping that I am confident that the shock I buy would actually fit!

I think the model that I have is the Protech 400 series or (or its predecessor).  The Protech dimensions webpage (https://www.protechshocks.co.uk/dimensions/) is pretty clear and I should be able to get a number of dimensions next time I'm at my garage to narrow it down further.  I might have to take the shock off to get enough dimensions to get it exactly.

Of course... I might just go back to SPAX ordered from Tiger because then I'll be sure that they fit!

Thanks,

Tim 

Andromeda

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
I am the same πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Just replaced the 300lbs rear springs with the 250 recommended and turned up the dampers. Just need the weather now to try it out 😁

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Laura at Tiger is very helpful πŸ‘πŸ‘

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #8 
I did lots of research and generally the ProTech's are the highest regarded with the least number of issues, which is why I went for them, along with the helpfulness of the team at the factory. 

Across the wider car audience, nowadays, Spax don't really seem to be recommended by anybody, Gaz come in 3rd, Avo 2nd and ProTech first.  I was happy for years with my Spax and have only replaced them as they were leaking oil, but the new dampers are several levels above in terms of quality.

For what it's worth, I got 600's which have been specifically valved for the lighter weight of a kit car which in turn means the damping adjustment gives you a choice of a few settings that will work, rather then one setting being too soft and the next being too stiff.
Andromeda

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Do
You have part numbers for what you have used? Don’t know how old the front spax are but tears are brand new, but would be willing to replace to get a great set up πŸ‘πŸ‘. Thanks for your help much appreciate it

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
The spax I have on have 28 adjustments on them, so I have put the rear up to 22 today with the new springs
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club