Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all. Newbie poster here. I’ve been looking at Tigers for a little while now. Went to pick one up I bought on eBay last week... amazing write up and spec that turned out to have very little done and even less on the car than listed.. very weird, so I walked away.
Anyhooo I’ve seen another one, competitively priced, but when I typed in the reg number on the .gov mot checker it comes up as a blue ford (original donor car? - but no model) - the tiger is blue and the mileage matches the car. Can anyone help clarify whether to steer clear? Many thanks in advance - Andy
snippy

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
I would say you are right to be cautious. Something isn`t right. It should be registered as a Tiger. If you have the details on the car someone on here might know about its history. 

Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snippy
I would say you are right to be cautious. Something isn`t right. It should be registered as a Tiger. If you have the details on the car someone on here might know about its history. 
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Here the ad on car and classic.....

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1110183

There was a pic of this car earlier and when I typed the reg number in, nothing at all came up on the .gov website. I asked the seller about this and he said he thinks his dad got the numbers muddled up when he got the plates made up... actual plate should have read C456 PNJ is the correct reg No.

snippy

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Well according to Gov.UK DVLA site C456 PNJ shows as a Tiger Cat E1 in blue. Maybe you were just given the wrong reg number after all? It seems very good value at that price. If it`s not too far away it might be worth a visit to have a proper look over all the paperwork so you can make a proper assessment. 
The only thing I would say is it shows registered in 1985 but Mot History only goes back to 2006 when it only had 1700 miles on the clock. It`s now only done 6700 miles. It`s never done many miles per year so it may have been built about 2003 depending on when its first Mot would have been. So the date of registration is still questionable for me? The 1985 date of registration stated would match up with it`s `C` plate? More investigation is definitely required.

Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for your input snippy. Maybe I’ll go and take a look. 😊👍
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
I’ve also sent an email enquiry to the DVLA. Will let you know what they say.
snippy

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
I see you bought it then. What`s the story/outcome behind it?

Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snippy
I see you bought it then. What`s the story/outcome behind it?

Hi bud

It was a really strange situation and it needed a lot of digging. Basically, the seller, a nice guy found out that his elderly dad had a couple of cars that he and his mum didn’t know about stored in a nearby farm. (Not sure if his parents were separated) The dad had died and these cars came to light. I went to see the car, checked out everything, V5 chassis plate etc etc, phoned DVLA, DVSA etc etc. Checked father, son relationship and the sons ID who offered all info willingly. I even looked at the dad’s info in the obituary notices and there he was, died end of last year. Car was stored in the same place for many years and used very infrequently. The car needs a little TLC but that’s ok. I was initially put off by it all but the seller was very accommodating with all the info so decided to go for it. I felt like an FBI agent lol
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
As for the mot neither the DVSA nor the DVLA were concerned in the slightest. So much conflicting info around I just decided to go straight to the authorities and make my enquires. Thanks for your input mate it was really helpful.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
I managed to get it for £1850 in the end, it’s being collected next week by trailer.
snippy

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
Sounds like you were able to do some good background checks together with a proper viewing/inspection. Sounds like it will be a nice project to get back on the road. Well done.

daytona

Banned
Reply with quote  #13 
Are you buying the car or the paperwork?
What difference does it make if it complies with DVLA?
A car be be rebodied and retain original number plate if 2 main items are transferred. This would save time and money getting it inspected by someone who has bought the testing equipment. If you like it and it doesn't have dodgy numbers, it may suit your needs.
daytona

Banned
Reply with quote  #14 
There are quite a few cars going around with the same numbers. I know of a GT40 for example.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club