Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
viatron

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 

First panel fitted today. Floor panels are a vaccuum bagged carbon /kevlar / foam compisite and is very very light but also very very stiff and hopefully the kevlar will impart the puncture resistance we are aiming for.

As we are going fully flat bottomed we have decided to using 2 or 3mm ali for the panel under the engine though for added protection.

Pics here

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Have settled on a laminate layup formula for the underfloor panels we thought wed share the results, 2 X 275gsm 2X2 twill carbon layers either side of a 3mm pvc foam core. the final panels will also have 2 X layers of kevlar road side of the laminate for puncture resistance

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 

i was thinking of flat flooring using carbon Mods foam filled carbon/ fibre glass panels so i will be interested to see how you get on, inparticular cooling. when i say flat flooring i was thinking of leaving the fins of the raceline sump sticking out. is your completely enclosed?

Ed

190lbs/ft
jamescastro

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #4 
Looks great Mac. Have you weighed any of the panels to see how they compare to Ali?

James
viatron

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
The final layup for the floor panels which will be the heaviest weight about 4/5 of the weight of 1.2mm ali plate which is what we would probably have used as a minimum and probably more likely 1.5mm.  Other advantages are that its far more rigid and also looks to be more resistant to impact if we had done that to ally it would have dented easily.
That said its been a far but a good learning experience, cutting kevlar cloth is a total pain, resorted to being cheap scissors from the pound isle and throwing at least a pair a day in the bin!

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
All said and done the weight saving won't be that great as we have gone balls to the wall on the 2 plates under the engine and used 3mm ali plate so that as well as flat flooring it will act as a skid plate, our engine is dry dumped and the belt driven pump has always looked very vulnerable. the only part that we will have poking beneath the floor will be the bottom flange of the bell housing by about 10mm.
Were hoping cooling won't be an issue because of the extra room under the bonnet and the air path from the engine bay down both sill mouldings, we still expect to have to shroud the radiator in though to maximise the airflow through the rad.
Have just uploaded more pics of the panelling here:

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #7 

Pot noodle?!!!

jamescastro

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #8 
I'm thinking about cooling as well, as I am trying to flat floor mine as much as possible (with the raceline wet sump). I was considering blocking off the rear ends of the side pods because of heat hitting the rear tyres, especially on the exhaust side!
viatron

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
i was thinking the opposite on the exhaust side and hoping the airflow through the side pod would cool the exhaust. The only other option would be to block them up but my thinking was they would act like a couple of side pod shaped parachutes?

Pot noodle was a momentary aberration, hadnt had one in years, probably decades, bought one and remembered why!

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #10 
Tis a tricky one. Guess we wont really know what the issues will be until we start driving it.... The grey demonstrator had the whole bottom of the sidepod cut out where the exhaust was, but I don't really want to do that if possible.
viatron

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 

not sure i fancy cutting the bottom out as there not the beafiest of panels anyway.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
the strength of the panel is impressive, i will be getting the hammer out on the carbon sheet that i have in mind

Ed

190lbs/ft
viatron

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 

More Panelling done car is almost flat bottomed now just 3 more panels and the rear diffuser to fit.

Pics

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 
What's the plan for the diffuser, Ali, fibreglass etc. Out of interest whats the ride height gonna be, inpresume the lower the better to get nag ground effect

Ed

190lbs/ft
viatron

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #15 

its fibreglass and may or may not fit without mods, its next on the list of things to do, it will be as low as possible but not so low to make it impracticle on the road.

The fact that we have managed to raise the engine clear of the chassis will help a lot, i know it raises the c of g and therfore the roll centre but like everything its a trade off.

The substantial ali plates under the engine are there so we can run low with some confidence that if we do hit a sleeping policeman or similar at most there will be a nasty grinding noise :-0

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #16 

Quote "I know it raises the c of g and therefore the roll centre but like everything its a trade off."

No.!

As I see it Mac:

If the bottom of the engine is the limiting factor to ground clearance  you have not raised the engine but are in fact lowering the chassis to suit the engine.

Right or wrong?

Alan

viatron

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #17 
I like your thinking!

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #18 
Out of interest... why use additional brackets on the chassis for the floor panels, why not go into the chassis itself?
viatron

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #19 

we need the panels to be removab;le and other than brackets were left with either rivnuts which in our experience work loose over time or drilling straight through and using nuts and bolts which we didint fancy.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #20 

So after what seems like a lifetime the chassis is finally in paint

Linky

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #21 

Looks much betterer Mac.

Raceline Water Rail. Webcon Alpha.
Powerspeed exhaust. (NOW SOLD)

New car: MGA 1600 MKII

"Growing Old is Compulsory..........Growing Up is Optional"
jamescastro

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #22 
Good work
viatron

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #23 

Momentus Day, first panels fitted, god an air riveter doesnt half make a difference, and the new composite floor panels seem immensley strong, they ring like a bell when struck!

And got the new LSD painted and ready to go on next time along with the tank and fuel lines.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #24 
Finally making more progress:

Decided to weld a plate to the back of the tank and mount the majority of the fuel system on that. Aslo we have decided to paint the tank, buitiful as bare Ali is it will only stay so for a short time before it starts to look kack. Quick visit to our tame painter and 2 coats of epoxy etch and 2 of gloss black later it is now well protected and acts as a nice background for the fuel comopnents as well ! bonus!!
One hickup today was fitting a -6 nipples to the injection pump, first one no problem, second one snapped with almost no force so suspect it was faulty, problem is that the broken off part is solid in the pump and despite dicking around with easyouts and trying to collapse it in it was no go so a new pump is now on order with the nipples already fitted, bonus is that for 3 quid over what the original cost we can go for the next size up which flows better in preperation for the supercharger side project.

Also made our own diff securing bolts as M12 are just to loose for our liking, couple of foot of high tensile steel 1/2" round bar was cut down and tapped with a 1/2" UNC die both end, fitted nicely and absolutley no slop at all with them in even without the nuts on. With the M12 bolts Tiger supply the diff will move about a millimetre with both bolts in unless its clamped up tight.

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #25 
What capacity is your tank, looks huge!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club