Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
rdpmelaniphy

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi folks. I need to change the clutch release / thrust bearing. It's making a horrible noise and the clutch is slipping initially when I change gear. I've got a full clutch replacement kit. I'm running a 2L pinto with type 9 unmodified sierra box with twin weber side draft 40s. I know I have to take the engine and gearbox out together to do the job. I built her 16 years ago and remember how tight it was getting engine and box in. My question is...do I hoist the engine and box up and out or is it better to drop the engine down and lift chasis up? Thanks for your advice. Rich (live in ireland now).
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
I would do it the opposite of the build. Drop the engine/box onto a trolley/base then lift the chassis up and draw the engine/box out from the front, reverse to refit.
I built 2 Cats this way.
rdpmelaniphy

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Cool. Thanks for your advice.
Tony_T70

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
I have recently taken the pinto engine and gearbox out of my cat to sort an oil leak, along with other jobs. I found it really easy to lower the engine and box onto a base of two foot square 3/4 ply screwed together with heavy duty casters.

Used the engine crane to lower the bare engine and box onto the base then strapped the front cross member and used the engine crane to lift the front of the car above the engine.

The engine and box could then be wheeled out from under the car.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Tony that sounds like a brilliant plan. I have creeper board so I'll use that as a trolley for the engine and box. Cheers.
claycock

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
I've got a SuperCat and a Zetec engine. I've take the engine out without taking the box out. Not sure is the differences in engine/car mean that this isn't an option for you but worth considering...

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks. As you say definitely worth considering. Cheers for advice folks. Really helpful.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club