Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
JohnSix

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi super six owners,

Anyone had any issues with the right hand side engine mount chassis plate splitting? I know this is the side that gets to hold the torque. l noticed a knocking and a squeak on corners, on looking and moving a few things around I could see the engine mount chassis plate has a crack along the weld seam.

Not sure how easy this will be to get re-welded with a view to get an additional plate welded under to further strengthen.

John.

MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Are you talking about the plate on the actual mount (to the engine) of the plate it fixes to on the chassis?

If it's the actual mount, then yes, it's common - take it somewhere to be re-welded and get them to add triangles of steel to that plate and up the side to strengthen them.

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #3 
If it's the plate on the chassis, just bolt a piece of 4-5mm steel plate onto the top of what is left and/or the chassis rails.

I did something similar on my car (the first Zetec install in a Cat back in 2000/2001) when I found the engine mount didn't meet the original mounting plate and the bodywork was all fitted which didn't allow for easy access to weld it.
JohnSix

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
It's the chassis plate, weld cracked along the seam onto the chassis. Lucky I didn't go back out for another couple of hrs!! I noticed the air filters were very close to the chassis as the plate has bent down quite a bit.

I'm going to get it welded back up with some additional strengthening, to give me more room I will just unbolt the inlet manifold with the carbs still on 20min job.

Thanks for your replies

John. 
Navigiter

Forum Donor 2017
Reply with quote  #5 

Is the failure always on the RHS? Is the possibility of failure still likely on R6 / R10 models which still has a flat, cantilevered, unstiffened plate butt / fillet welded to the chassis?

I like the idea of bolting an additional plate on top because it keeps the design more or less consistent with the original. Welding stiffeners to the underside and back to the side of the chassis member changes the load path into the chassis although the original design may not have considered local bending moments. 

I don't suppose a few mm's would make any difference but is the thickness of the plate critical when considering the overall height of the engine etc?

Navigiter.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.