Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
nelmo2

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
I've got an ERA sump on a Zetec blacktop that i have to remove.

All bolts are defintely out and I can slide the sump backwards and forwards about 5mm BUT the damn thing just won't drop off. I did use sealant but I've managed to remove that down the sides. I think I've got most of it out from the front edge but i can't tell at the clutch end, although there seems to be lots of play at the rear, so pretty sure its mostly seperated.

It feels like its caught on something so I'm worried about using too much force. I've had screwdrivers inserted on 2 sides but it just won't drop.

Any ideas?
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #2 
It's not stuck at the bellhousing end where you have the dust plate is it?

When I had a silver top, I had to separate the engine and gearbox apart a bit to allow the sump to be removed.

There is nothing inside the ERA sump that should get caught when removing it, so if the sealant is cut all the way around and it's not stuck on the dust plate, it should just come off.
nelmo2

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
I only have half a dust shield on the top half of the bellhousing so shouldn't be an issue.

I'm removing the sump to investigate a rattle - maybe the cause of the rattle is jamming the sump on?
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #4 
With a Black Top, to use the ERA sump, you replace a few of crank bolts with studs and then affix a windage tray and then the pick-up pipe (this is already present on the Silver Top)

The sump is then just the outer walls, so is hollow.  I honestly cannot see there being anything else for it to stick on if all the bolts are out and the sealant has been broken.

Some pictures are on this thread by clicking here.

nelmo2

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Yeah, i totally agree - i built it myself so i know whats in there; i just can't understand what is stopping it dropping off.

I'm going to get a mate to have a look - maybe i'm missing something...
stripe70

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
If it`s got the home made splash tray provided with the ERA sump, that could be the problem. Mine got jammed on the internal sides of the sump but luckily i was dry testing it on the bench at the time. As it bends up at the sides the more i pulled the tighter it got. Was amare to remove.
Tweak the sides of it before putting back on.

Ended up using the original silvertop splash tray in the end but they are hard to find now.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Bugger, thats what's worrying me. How did you get it off - just brute force?
stripe70

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
yep, not much else i could do

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #9 

I hadn't realised the tray wasn't the original Ford one, as the Ford one has plenty of clearance.

Could you wiggle the sump backwards and forwards to try and "walk" the sump down?
nelmo2

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
I have tried that but it didn't work.

The difficulty is I only have the car up on basic wheel ramps (12 inches high?), so it's difficult to get the leverage to move backwards and forwards AND get some downward force at the same time.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club