Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Meado93

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Guys,

Been scratching my head for the past few nights... Recently had the engine/gearbox out of the car to replace the clutch. Put everything back together with a new clutch pawl also (yellow)

Also had the flywheel refaced and skimmed some weight off of the back taking it down to roughly 7kg now
After tensioning the clutch cable to the max setting on the pawl it selects every gear great apart from reverse... which when it feels like it’s in reverse it goes FORWARDS!?

I have a brass saddle on the shaft and have taken the side bolt out to allow maximum travel of the stick towards reverse. I don’t get any crunches or any bad feel when I go into any gears and drives fine in any gear, just doesn’t like to go backwards!

The reasoning for the clutch replacement was a heavy crunch into reverse and struggled to get first to which developed into getting no gears whatsoever. Looked like the friction plate was sticking

If anyone has any suggestions/ideas it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jake
Meado93

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Sorry just to add it’s a 2l pinto with the standard type 9 box with the extender plate/bracket
Carnoustiecat

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #3 
Have you got the saddle block on the right way round? Can't remember which way it goes, but I do know it causes problems if fitted wrongly. Might be worth trying it the other way round as it's easy to do and might just be a quick fix. Scott

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
I've switched the saddle round and removed it to see if it was stopping any movement but still no joy on any...

With the extender plate, it was a faff to put back on... Is there anything I could potentially have caught/missed? 
TigerEd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Hi, not sure if this will help but I had to use a couple of washer between the gear lever and the extender plate to lift the gear lever slightly, seem to remember I had the same problem of selecting revers.
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #6 
As TigerEd has suggested, I found that I needed to use an additional spacer between the lever and the extender plate to be able to comfortably get reverse.
Meado93

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I’ll get in my scruffs and have a play about now.

Are you saying directly under the gear stick on to the extension plate or under the extension plate onto the gearbox itself?

Cheers
Meado93

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
I’ve tried putting 2 washers inbetween the gear stick and plate and still no luck [frown]

I also put back the bolt on the side which I understand is the ‘stopper’ for reverse/first? Adjusted it a couple of times but still no reverse

The gear stick feels like it travels all the way over to reverse and goes into gear in roughly the same position before I took the clutch out etc... But once it’s in ‘reverse’ there’s a lot of play with the stick left and right
TigerEd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Yes under the gear stick, the extension plate bolts directly onto the gearbox. Is it possible to try it without the extension plate just to rule things out.
Tony_T70

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
This might sound stupid, are you trying to select reverse with the engine running? Are you able to select all the gears with the engine off? This should then help identify if the issue is with the selector or the clutch. 

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #11 
Depending upon the extension plate and your gear stick, you might need to use more than 2 washers.

The bottom of the gear stick is usually a pressed piece of metal with a flange.  When it's on the gearbox, the flange sits over the gearbox moulding.

Unless the gear extension has a matching shape for the flange to sit over then it might not be right, but this is exacerbated if you have a quick shift modification.

You can see the shape of the adaptor in the picture below from the Rally Design quick shift modification.  I have this modification, but needed to use an additional plate of 3mm thick aluminium matching the same profile as the aluminium section below to be able to select reverse.  Without the spacer you could get reverse maybe 10% of the time.  Now it's probably 90+ percent.

[RD1742] 
TigerEd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
I found that with the extension plate a quick shift modification or a quick shift lever give a much better gear change, not sure why though.
Meado93

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
Good news guys, problem fixed! But another problem has occurred but that can wait until another day [mad]

So on Ed's recommendation was to try and attach the gearstick without the extender plate, so after removing a few alloy plates/surrounds i was able to the end of the gearbox and attach the gearstick and presto... REVERSE!

So eliminated my shoddy engineering and knackering the clutch replacement in someway and new it must be further back. 

After a little bit of digging i found some crude brackets to make the extender fit onto the gearbox end with a few shaved sides. 118032928_3231323810247599_2296929746929010714_n.jpg 117763860_626216364970296_9120457121123382915_n.jpg 

Found the tightest fitment and put her back together and got reverse first time properly...

Also added a few washers under the extender plate onto the gearbox as the original bolts were ever so slightly too long to get a proper bite so had a little play also

Thanks again for the suggestions guys! [thumb]

For for intrigued on the next problem... Quick 10 minute test drive and fan doesn't kick in causing it to overheat and cut out on idle. Always manages to give you problems at busy roundabouts doesn't it?! Time to check for airlocks/stat etc

TigerEd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 
👍
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club