Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
JimM

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,

I was at a hill climb and car owners show at the weekend.
As usual I was the loan Tiger in with a bunch of Westfield owners.

With all the kits parked side by side I noted how high the stone guards and the fact they cover the full width of the rear wings on the Westfield.

This is in contrast to smaller and less width coverage on the Tiger Cat wings.

Now my issue ... above and at the sides not covered by the Cat stone guards there is quite a bit of stone damage to the fibreglass.

1. Whats the best way to fix multiple small indents in fiberglass (almost like shotgun pellet damage)
2. Is there any other guard that would provide more protection for the wings.
Or has anyone come up with a better method to cover the awkward rear wing shape.

Cheers Jim

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Done

Attached Images
jpeg IMAG1517_1-20170904-184343948.jpg (46.06 KB, 26 views)

TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #3 
Something like Xpel Ultimate clear wrap is self healing and will protect against stone rash.

In terms of repairing the damage, you might be able to mix up gel coat to fill the holes, then polish it smooth when it's fully set, but the colour may well be off, in which case, car body filler and a respray is probably the solution.
greengreenwood7

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
i went for the quickest solution after i had m old Cat sprayed...i had fully intended to have it protected with 3m or similar, but as an interim measure i popped stickersin various places. worked as a look on thecar due to the fact that the colours were racing colours and having a race number/and other stickers suited it. They protected the arches pretty well.
I have a feeling that at one stage Southways made a taller protector, but that may have just been for the supercat? I know that they arent involved too much/at all anymore, but worth a call?

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOC_Admin
Something like Xpel Ultimate clear wrap is self healing and will protect against stone rash. In terms of repairing the damage, you might be able to mix up gel coat to fill the holes, then polish it smooth when it's fully set, but the colour may well be off, in which case, car body filler and a respray is probably the solution.

I remember other threads from a few years ago talking about some kind of clear wrap as well. 

For the repair, Tiger might be able to get you some of the actual gelcoat. They gave me some (again, several years ago though) to try and repair some crazing in some of my panels. 
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #6 
I got some gel coat from Tiger and it was quite orange in comparison to my original yellow gel coat, but it's worth a try as you don't lose anything by trying.

One other thought is that if you were considering a clear wrap to protect it, you could just have the whole car wrapped in something more interesting, though the underlying bodywork does need to be smooth and repaired before it is wrapped as it doesn't magically fix issues.

Alternatively, accept that the patina adds to the authenticity and heritage of the car and enjoy driving it as it is [biggrin]
JimM

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 

It's not a show room kit by any standards ..... plenty of use each year and now showing its 10 year age..

It may be time to look at a respray as there are other parts on the fibreglass that has cracks or damage. Particularly along the bottom and under the rear wings.

Might also be a time to add the rear wheel alignment shims I bought a few years ago but could not fit as the tyres would hit the rear arches. Now may be the time to cut the arches and extend to cover the wheels.

Starting my winter upgrade list already ...  [biggrin]

Thanks as always for the input.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club