Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
russellainsby

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
After fitting new seats I need to do something about the steering wheel.  I'm planning of fitting a slightly smaller wheel plus a quick release kit to bring it slightly closer.

However I think the biggest difference will be if I can raise the height of it.  I have attached a photo and think I can gain a good 40mm if I relocate the warning lights.  

BUT - Steering height 2.jpg 

Am I correct in thinking this is the only mounting point that dictates the steering wheel height?  Is it just a matter of raising the mounting points?  (google image not my car)

BUT - Steering column height 2.jpg 

Any reason I can't or shouldn't raise the height?  Any other possible suggestions greatly appreciated.

Refined by an idiot !
TigerEd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi, if you fit a smaller wheel and a quick release boss that will have a similar affect as lifting the existing wheel. As you said and as in the pic you can re-drill the two mounts for the steering column to lift it as well. Looking at the first pic there is probably room to lift the wheel without moving the warning lights.
TigerEd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Probably should have asked first, how much higher do you need the steering wheel to be ?
russellainsby

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Higher the better really, I'm what most people would refer to as a "unit".   It was bad enough with the seat pads but with the GRP's is virtually impossible.  It would also benefit my arms being higher giving better clearance of the side and tunnel. 

I'd like 60mm higher.   So my thinking is raise the column 40mm, 270mm steering wheel gives another 15mm (currently 300mm) plus 5-10mm by bringing the wheel closer with QR boss.

Mine already has the column mounted quite high up, so will need to make some brackets to extend the existing mounting.  I smashed the pigs ears out earlier and that has gained me a little bit.

Refined by an idiot !
althecate1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Not sure which model you have . If you raise it at the point shown in the picture there is a tube passing through the bulkhead that has a plastic bush in this may cause you trouble if you go to high. People have fitted a plate mounted bearing here to negate the issue. some also the adjustable Sierra column.
Alec

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Alec, I have a Cat E1.

I’ll take a look at the bulkhead tomorrow and see what’s required.

Refined by an idiot !
althecate1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Then you definitely have a tube.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks Alec.  I've uploaded 2 photos, inside and outside view.

I'm guessing there is some degree of leeway as standard?   If I raise it too high would I be correct in assuming I need to also change the angle of the tube (photo 2) slightly to compensate?

BUT - Steering tube 1.jpg 

BUT - Steering tube 2.jpg

Refined by an idiot !
russellainsby

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Suppose the best thing to do is remove the column and then whack the tube with a big hammer to try and get the right angle.  Or better still cut it off and fabricate something like this.  https://nw.rhocar.org/supporting_the_steering_shaft.htm

Refined by an idiot !
althecate1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 

I don’t recall how much leeway there is to be honest. There was some. In the engine bay there is a spherical bearing securing the lower section of the shaft after the UJ. I would remove the bolts at the steering wheel and lift the column up and see what you have.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club