Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
hovawart

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
I was driving along today in my Supercat XL and the steering wheel felt very loose. Upon removing the steering wheel, I could see that one of the three nyloc nuts holding the steering wheel boss on had fallen off (see photo). Couple of questions...

1) Is this the normal way to attach these type of bosses? The bolt that the nut screws onto are not captive and so spin round when you try to tighten them. I imagine you'd have to remove the bit that the boss mounts on to access the rear of the bolts. Seems a poor way of doing it. 

2) If I need to access the rear of the 3 bolts to tighten them, I assume I will need to remove the blue bolt in the centre. The nearest socket size seems to be 22mm but it feels a little loose (and it's too big for a 7/8" imperial socket). Is it an odd size or shall I just buy a 22mm hex socket (rather than the bi-hex I've tried)? Also, is there a specified torque setting for this?
[CameraZOOM2018101313]  

Navigiter

Forum Donor 2017
Reply with quote  #2 

It seems very unlikely that a nyloc nut would unscrew itself in that situation. I can't comment on the set up as a whole but nyloc's just don't do that if tightened as the others shown in the photo are. Grade “10.9” is a metric strength designation; Auto makers love non-preferred sizes so it's probably 22mm if a 21mm is too small. 

Navigiter

althecate1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
I'm not familiar with that steering wheel boss, but it is a collapsible one, the manufacturer and more photos might help. The Cat used the Sierra steering column it has a hexagonal tapered end and the method of securing the boss is with a nut not the blue bolt.
Alec

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
It has a tag saying "KK32X" hanging off it which, Google says, is a Mountney boss.

This person seems to have a similar looking bolt on what looks like an aftermarket steering wheel so I assume it is to do with that rather than a Sierra part:

I found some instructions saying to torque it up to 50Nm:
https://cdn.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/mountney/wheel-boss-fitting-instructions.pdf

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club