Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Dord

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi for IVA I need to stamp the chassis number onto the chassis. I have a set of punches from years ago that have 5mm letters to use, my issue is that they seem small when I try them on a scrap piece and they don’t stamp in very deep has anybody here had to do this and what did you use, thanks

Forum Donor 2017
Reply with quote  #2 

If you are concerned about access or damage to chassis when hardstamping, the chassis number cam be stamped on a separate piece of steel that is then welded to the chassis. When hard stamping I hold the stamp with a pair of grips and use a 3 lb mash hammer on a solid surface to ensure the stamp is legible.

My Tiger has a plate with the chassis number number welded in place. It does of course have to be in a readily visible location because it will be the first thing the Inspector will check. I haven't looked at the IVA rules but if there is a minimum size requirement it will be given. Otherwise as long as the ID is clear it should be OK.

Navigiter

Dord

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Navigiter, I read the IVA manual and it states size must be 3.5mm minimum so my stamps are just over 5mm I used them. I now ha e a very sore thumb and a not very pretty VIN stamped. I tried holding stamps with grips, pliers etc without much success but I will try going over them again once my thumb settles down to try to get a deeper impression

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Could you fit your stamps into a socket or a piece of tubing that would hole them better and allow you to get a better hit? Just a thought
Dord

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
I’ve got some 1/4” drive sockets that I think will work so I’ll be trying that next thanks

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dord
Thanks Navigiter, I read the IVA manual and it states size must be 3.5mm minimum so my stamps are just over 5mm I used them. I now have a very sore thumb and a not very pretty VIN stamped. I tried holding stamps with grips, pliers etc without much success but I will try going over them again once my thumb settles down to try to get a deeper impression

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club