Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
JimM

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 

Having tried all possible solutions to identify intermittent issue with my electronic speedo, I'm left with the options of replacing each item in turn - Speedo, sensor, cables ....
Or ditch the lot and change to an all in one unit.

Looking for feedback on what's available and how do you rate the units you have purchased ..
Ease of use, performance of display, reading on speedo, revs, etc ....

And costs ... 😭

Ta
Jim

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #2 
Is it a Tiger branded unit from ETB? If so, give ETB a call as they were excellent when my tacho needed mending.
JimM

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Speedo is a Smith Telemetrix model.
It was returned to the manufacturer Careboner or something like that in Wales.
They returned it as a no fault found status.

Due to the nature of the fault, intermittent speed needle operation, i can only assume it was working when they tested it. The speedo would work for 20 mins then just drop to zero. It would then burst back to life after another 30 mins. These time vary each run I go on.
Asked the manufacturer to do vibration testing to see if this would highlight the fault.
Don't know if they did this or not.

Checked cables and connections, also checked the electronic pickup. Also moved it closer to the prop shaft bolt heads. All to no avail.

So as stated earlier, don't know what do do next to rectify the problem.

Open to suggestions ....

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
could you take it out of the car and dummy mount the pick up next to something like a drill in a vice that you'd put magnets onto, suppose you'd just need a flat disk with either magnets/bolts for the receiver to pick up on?
doing this i assume you could;
a/ try to replicate the problem - if it works 'static' then presumably something is 'off' when its on the car
b/ can fiddle with the distance between the pick up and the bolt heads/magnets to see if that makes a difference...
you'd rule out that end of things which would only leave the gauge end?

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #5 
Normally, if it's the sensor end that is causing problems, you would get the needle dancing around with erratic pulses being sent back.  @greengreenwood7's suggestion is a good one testing on the bench.

Does the digital part of the display also drop out when the needle drops, or does that stay operational?

If it drops out, look towards the power supply to the gauge:
  • Check the earthing point for the gauge, does the gauge need earthing to it's casing as well (it's usually good practice to earth the case via one of the studs/nuts on the back.
  • Then try wiring the power to another gauge, for example linking the tacho to the same wires for the speedo power and see if that drops as well.  Connect + on speed to + on tacho, - on speedo to - on tacho - removing and safely insulating the original tacho supply wires so they don't short on anything else.  Does the tacho then still have the same problem?

If it stays operational, I would look to replacing the wiring between the sender and the speedo as this should be fairly easy to do and has a minimal cost - make sure you use shielded wire for this to minimise interference as the signals aren't that strong from a hall effect sensor.

I used Maplin part code XS23 for my electronic speedo cable.: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/audio-visual-single-screened-two-core-grey-priced-per-metre-xs23a

If you remove the tunnel top, you can test this quite easily by tying the cable safely out of the way without having to run it the proper route and rebuild the car - just don't put your hand down the gap to the prop shaft whilst driving along!  If this fixes the problem route it properly, if not, you're probably on to taking the sender and speedo out onto the bench as @greengreenwood7 suggests.

JimM

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Good feedback guys,
I believe both the needle and digital mileage stop working.
I will try linking the tachometer to the speedo and see what impact that has.

Thanks

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Jim

Resurrecting an old thread here I know. What was the cause of your problems in the end?
JimM

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Abe,

Still working the problem .....

After checking the cable power  ground options I then purchased a new Speedo in the belief that this was the problem (even though the speedo was checked out as OK when returned to supplier).

Thought I had cracked it as new unit ran ok for a couple of days then it also had intermittent problems with the needle bouncing about then stopping altogether.

So ...... process of elimination I ordered a new Sensor but I am being mucked about by the supplier.
It was due to be delivered 22/7 buy Royal Mail, then the tracking info would not work, then it was listed as Hermes as carrier. Contacted the supplier via Ebay ... allegedly he is sending another sensor so stay tuned ...

I'll update the post if and when new sensor arrives and gets installed.

May have a brand new Speedo to go on Ebay very soon ... Doh!

cheers
Jim.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Doh!! Sounds like a similar story to mine Jim. I’ve fitted a new 3 wire sensor, made and fitted a nice bracket, drilled and fitted the magnets to the drive shaft... but actually should have looked for a two wire sensor as mines an older speedo, so I have ordered a two wire reed sensor from eBay to test. Let me know if you decide to sell the speedo, I may be interested as my speedo looks pretty untidy anyway and I’ll use my 3 wire Tiger sensor with it. :)
JimM

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Well,
things not going to plan ...
New sensor eventually arrived from Ebay £60.
Under the Tiger and unbolted the old sensor to replace with new one ...
Disaster ... when tightening up the nuts, the sensor broke into two pieces ...

Part packed up and being returned to supplier ... did not have any issue with old sensor. [mad]

So old sensor secured back into the bracket.
When adjusting for correct distance I noted that the bottom edge of the sensor is close to the round part of the prop shaft.
So removed the bracket .. some filing performed then placed back into location.
This time sensor sitting further away from the propshaft and now only aligned with top half of the propshaft bolts.

Went for a run and all appears to be back to normal ... no drop out of speed needle.
Could this have been the source of my intermittent problem ????

Have a weekend trip around north of Scotland starting on Friday ... this will test if sensor movement has fixed the problem.

Should have a brand new speedo (~20 miles on the clock) for sale with a bit of luck.

stay tuned.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Sounds like you might have solved it! Jim! I tightened my sensor up ‘snug’, I was scared of snapping it like you’ve described! Doh!! My speedo is working with a new reed sensor off a motorbike (eBay) but seems to become erratic after 5 miles or so, so I think I’m gonna try one magnet (I glued in two on the driveshaft when I incorrectly purchased the hall sensor) to half the amount of work the reed sensor is doing. May work, may not!? Andy
Blooka

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
finally got it working again.
Thought my cat just had 1 magnet on prop, turns out it had 2 on it. As i didnt build it.
I could see where it had been before it fell off. Fitted another and it worked yey!! typical me going round the houses when i should have checked the basics.
Story of my life.[confused]
thanks though for all your info especially abe who was a great help.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooka
finally got it working again.
Thought my cat just had 1 magnet on prop, turns out it had 2 on it. As i didnt build it.
I could see where it had been before it fell off. Fitted another and it worked yey!! typical me going round the houses when i should have checked the basics.
Story of my life.[confused]
thanks though for all your info especially abe who was a great help.

Awesome 👏 And I’ve taken a magnet off mine today, leaving one and now it’s working perfectly! 🤣 A good day all round I reckon 😁
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club