Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all

I can’t seem to get the drum brake self adjusting mechanism to work. When I’ve got the drum off and pump the brake pedal the ratchet mechanism works, when I put the drum on it doesn’t. I’ve manually set the ratchet so the brakes are fine now but just wondered if anyone else has encountered this?
All springs look to be in the correct position etc.
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Never found that this way of adjusting works, like you I adjust them close to what is needed with the hub off then put them back on.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Ok a thanks mate :)
roger

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Have you tried checking the tension retaining springs are in the correct place, quite often some one will put the spring in the wrong hole causing the ratchet not to work as it is set too hard.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Funny you should say that Roger... I wasn’t convinced the place where they were looked right,one side of the top spring went up into the shoe into the hole next to the brake cylinder and it was fouling on the rubber seal, I brought the spring down next to the ratchet mechanism and it looks like that’s where it sits. Sierra manual not clear as to where it sits as it’s an exploded diagram and pics online seem to be quite few and far between. Andy
roger

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Abe when i bought my Tiger i trailered it to Cologne, and it had that problem, however being a panel beater for 50 years it didn't take long to identify and repair, hope everything is well now. Roger

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Tried a few different things thanks Roger, I found manual adjustment the best solution. 50yrs! Excellent!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club