Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
claycock

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
As the title, anyone put an RX8 gearbox in a Supercat? Will it fit?

TIA
Chris

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
no idea Chris, but have to ask - why? are the ratios more suited?
often seems that modern boxes have such a low 1st gear that it would be redundant......

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 

just looking at options for a stronger box. RX8 boxes are cheap and with an adaptor plate fit a Zetec, the downside is a low first gear but it'll take 300-400 bhp. I've been toying with a couple of options for more power but want to think through what I'd if my type 9 blows up. Options for the box are BGH internals at £700-900 or an RX8 which would be in the £400-500 range including all of the other mods required but obviously useless if it doesn't fit. Might need to do some measuring of the tunnel

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #4 
I've just started to replace my type 9 in my Supercat for a MX-5 Mk3 2ltr gearbox. So far I've purchased the box and intend to make a start this week. Looks like it will be similar in size and it will bolt ditectly to my Duratec engine. Paid £250 for the box.

Paul
davesams

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycock

just looking at options for a stronger box. RX8 boxes are cheap and with an adaptor plate fit a Zetec, the downside is a low first gear but it'll take 300-400 bhp. I've been toying with a couple of options for more power but want to think through what I'd if my type 9 blows up. Options for the box are BGH internals at £700-900 or an RX8 which would be in the £400-500 range including all of the other mods required but obviously useless if it doesn't fit. Might need to do some measuring of the tunnel

J90RDN

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Anyone actually done this conversion yet? Just about to put an RX8 box in my Avon. I know the tunnel is too small, so have some chopping and welding to do. Only concern I have so far is finding a pedal box narrow enough to fit once I've enlarged the tunnel.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
You may want to do a set of gear calcs on the gearbox be for you start fitting one as they are designed for a car with a very different rev range than a zetec. People tend to go for a mx5 gearbox over the rx8 for this reason. 
J90RDN

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
You may want to do a set of gear calcs on the gearbox be for you start fitting one as they are designed for a car with a very different rev range than a zetec. People tend to go for a mx5 gearbox over the rx8 for this reason. 

Ratios are fine as a few people have contested, but 1st gear pretty much useless (don't use 1st on track anyway, and 2nd is rare).

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club