Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
8dja

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi guys, just doing an oil change on a Tiger I just got and wondered what oil you would recommend.

It’s a 2.0 Pinto and I have been told it’s modified / tuned and running approx 180bhp.

Also, any ideas for replacement dipstick and when I removed it noticed the last 2 inches (with marking) was snapped off 😟
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dja
Hi guys, just doing an oil change on a Tiger I just got and wondered what oil you would recommend.

It’s a 2.0 Pinto and I have been told it’s modified / tuned and running approx 180bhp.

Also, any ideas for replacement dipstick and when I removed it noticed the last 2 inches (with marking) was snapped off 😟

Congrats on buying that Tiger! Now the fun starts 🤪
I’m using something called ‘Morris Golden Film SAE 20W-50’. I’m sure others will have something to say about this topic. I googled it for hours a few months ago lol

I think the end part of the dipstick screws into the long spring section if its like mine. Can you unscrew and make something up yourself? I had to do that with the top section or buy second hand. Again I’m no expert just my own tinkering.

Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
...that’s assuming something is still sticking out of the bottom of the dipstick springy thing.
8dja

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Unfortunately nothing unscrewed, it’s the old still single long piece of metal with the flat end for the readings.
I have emptied the sump but nothing came out so will try fishing with a magnet, if that fails it’s sump off.
I’m sure it will be in there, can’t see it making its way into the engine.
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Has it got a modified sump ? Some people mess about with dip stick thinking it has less oil in it.
8dja

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Yep, sump has been modified but the end had snapped off as found it in the bottom of the sump after removing it.
It was hiding in side the little holes of what I assume is an expansion section so the sump has enough oil :)

Attached Images
jpeg DC18DA85-D86C-4411-8993-11B41485AEB4.jpeg (256.69 KB, 15 views)
jpeg 6391C288-8418-4C08-B5AC-9B167D247BE9.jpeg (270.43 KB, 14 views)
jpeg C25E28FC-11B6-4D58-BDFD-F1C3309CE41A.jpeg (348.29 KB, 14 views)

Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Cracking on already! Good stuff!
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Glad you got it sorted. If I take the sump off always replace the gasket to stop any leaks as the old one will be compressed already.
8dja

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Yep, have ordered a competition sump gasket set from Burton Power.

The tricky bit seems to be finding one of these old style dip sticks.
overdriver

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Returning to the recommended oil question, a search using 'Pinto oil' as the keywords will show previous (varied) comments.

Incidentally, 180 bhp from a Pinto is really going some! What's the configuration? I take it that it's naturally aspirated.

Michael.

Spent it on fast women and loose cars.
8dja

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Don’t know the full spec but they fitted new pistons, high spec cam, larger valves.
It’s using 45 twin Webber’s
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
Couple of dipsticks on eBay, you’ve probably seen them already.
8dja

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
Having issues finding one of these old dip sticks, if anyone has one lying around that they don’t need I would be appreciated.
It’s approx 20” long
I have attached a picture of the current broken one.
Cheers

Attached Images
jpeg FEB4604F-A545-4224-9CED-11901181668D.jpeg (388.38 KB, 20 views)
jpeg 3B04183A-BE5F-4403-ADC1-BA6F56258248.jpeg (264.80 KB, 18 views)
jpeg AD3469AD-E2F2-46B9-98C0-0D376CDFD998.jpeg (318.07 KB, 16 views)

Dord

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 
I would think you could find something suitable at a breakers and if it’s longer could be cut down

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #15 
Hi, good idea.
Pop down to a local one today and picked up a ford one which was only a couple of inches bigger so got the grinder out and cut to size :)
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dja
Hi, good idea.
Pop down to a local one today and picked up a ford one which was only a couple of inches bigger so got the grinder out and cut to size :)

Sweeeet
8dja

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #17 
Hi Guys,
Went to check the oil on the Tiger today to find the replacement dip stick i made has also had the end snapped off like the one before.

Any ideas why this would be happening?

Could it be the angle the dip stick tube is at and in turn the angle at which the dip stick enters the sump?
Found the dip stick tube also very loose so I'm guessing it could move while driving.

I thinking of just cutting the current one shorter to lave in as a plug and get another to keep under the seat for when i need to check the oil but would be nice to know why its happening.

Thanks
David

Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #18 
Not slightly bottoming out on the sump is it and bending it and then bending back when you pull it out? I’m sure you’d feel that straight away though. Il have a look at mine tomorrow
8dja

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #19 
Thanks,
When I removed the first one that snapped I checked how far it went down and was about level with the oil pickup so don’t think it’s near the bottom.
I did think it was close to the crank.
This is a picture of when I was checking the fitment of the oil one to check length.

Attached Images
jpeg 63D59E4A-C1E9-4C0B-9530-57DC3D669446.jpeg (385.78 KB, 11 views)

Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #20 
Hi 8dja,

Check with Paul or Jim at Tiger Racing once you have refitted the modified sump with the extension on the side as to the amount of oil you need.

From memory you used to refill the engine as per the manufactures guide lines, so if Ford recommends 5 litres put 5 litres in and then remark the dip stick to indicate the upper full mark to act as a guide when checking the oil level.

You will find that most pinto engines will use some oil in general use and if you take the car on track you will get oil surge during cornering which can cause the oil to be push out through the breather pipe.

Fitting a clear plastic water bottle with the breather pipe in the bottle to catch the oil will give you a indication of what is happening plus it saves the oil getting blown over the engine / tyres possibly leading to a whoops moment when cornering.

Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #21 
Hi David,

Just a thought, as your dipstick itself appears to be the correct size (c. 16") is there a problem with the dipstick tube? Is it the right length and is the restricting 'collar' secure where the tube goes into the block?

Dipstick tube.jpgAs the picture shows, mine has a tube of c. 9.5" with the collar at c. 9" from the top. 

Oh and yes, the tube does tend to come out rather too easily!

Michael.

Spent it on fast women and loose cars.
8dja

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #22 
Hi,
The tube length seems ok at the picture above Is of the dipstick sitting in the tube and seems to just reach the pickup.
I was wondering if it could be the tube moving and causing the dipstick to get in the way of the bottom of the pistons.
The tube is bent so the stick can be pulled out between the water pipes. The tube is very loose so swings left and right very easy.
Not sure how these are normally secured in place.
Cheers
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #23 
Hard to say without seeing it mate, you look like you’re doing everything right. Mines different. It’s mounted at the top of the inlet manifold and has a flexi dipstick. No movement at all in the tube. That surely can’t help if you’ve got movement there.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #24 
Probably won’t help!...

Attached Images
jpeg 5CEC4776-7A08-434B-86DF-7A9895B6877A.jpeg (316.85 KB, 9 views)
jpeg 824B6175-896C-4747-82F1-5B63911F9366.jpeg (324.16 KB, 10 views)

8dja

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #25 
Hi, looks like your is in the same location, just better fixed :)
The 2 pictures show how it can swing from one position to another very easily.
So I’m wondering if that’s enough to cause the stick to get in the way.
Just hoping it’s not caused any damage but I don’t think it would have.

Attached Images
jpeg 6A97690F-87CD-433D-B8E8-B87BCE154C85.jpeg (249.55 KB, 9 views)
jpeg FA2DF8D0-7CE5-49DE-BC48-2D25525E562E.jpeg (265.41 KB, 9 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club