Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
So just working through my Tiger and some bodger has fitted rear spax adjustable shocks with an 8mm bolt and yanked it up super tight bending in the top and bottom mounts, rather than just filling the space with some washers. The shock bush holes are 10mm, the Sierra trailing arm and top mounting holes are 12.5mm. Now I’ve straighten the top and bottom mounts there is a lot of space either side of the bush and the between the inside of the mounting points, is everyone using washers to pack out this space or are they using custom-made bushes and using shouldered bolts etc? Are you drilling out the shock bushes to 12.5mm? Hope all this waffle makes sense! If anyone would be kind enough to send me a picture of their setup I’d really appreciate it. Thank you. Andy :)

contourandy@yahoo.com
snippy

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
On the Cat the original rear set up just uses Austin Mini shocks and a spring sits separately next to it. Some people remove both of these and fit coilovers. The original set up works fine for road use and you can buy different rated springs to make it stiffer/softer. Most people (me included) packed the shocks either side with washers to fill in the gap. Mine are still there 13 years on. I think the mini shocks also have the same size bolt hole as the trailing arm mountings.
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #3 
The standard rear shocks on the Cat are Mini front shocks and have 3/8" (9.525mm) holes, so either correct 3/8" UNF bolts or M10 would be sufficient as the M10 bolt fits in due to the clearance.

The top hole, as you say is 10mm and the bottom on the Sierra arm is nominally 1/2" (12.5mm).  You can pack the width with washers or custom made spacers, either should be sufficient - if using washers, smear each with a little thick grease as they then stick together and are so much easier to fit and hold in place whilst putting the bolt in.

However, you really need to do something with the bottom bolt hole in the Sierra arm, either weld plates over the existing holes drilled out to 3/8" or 10mm, or sleeve the bottom bolt holes in the arms with a stepped washer at either side.  I suspect the sleeves in the dampers are likely to be hardened steel, so not that easy to drill out, and from what I recall, the outer diameter of the sleeve isn't far off 12.5mm itself.

I've got some new dampers arriving in a couple of weeks which have spherical bearings.  I've opted to have these with 10mm holes top and bottom for consistency, but will be making up some new spacers in the lathe.  The basic idea is to start with some 19mm round bar, which I already have, turn a step down to 12.5mm diameter that is the same width as the thickness of material on the arm and then drill a 10mm hole in the middle.

I'm actually making the 12.5mm diameter part 4mm long.  That will sit in a 12.5mm hole in the inner spacer which will then clamp up when the bolt is tightened, something like this:

Damper-Spacer-Diagram-1.jpg 

Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Great replies thanks guys, I nearly welded on some thick 10mm washers on the trailing arms to decrease the hole size but thought I’d ask for advice first and look at the options.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Those spacers look ace... might go down that route :)
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The top mounting bracket holes were over 12mm so I’ve welded plates to the top mounts and trailing arms with a 10mm hole and it’s perfect. :)
daytona

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
There is a company called A & A manufacturing that makes all kind of parts that make building cars much easier. They are also very reasonable 

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #8 
Daytona, do you have some details you could share as there are quite a few A&A Manufacturing's and the only car parts one I found with that name was based in Michgan (https://www.aa-mfg.com)

daytona

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
No. I do believe it is called A & A manufacturing and Michigan area sounds good. Try
http://www.aa-mfg.com.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Another option might be to simply weld on some washers with 10mm hole
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club