Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
S70KKO

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,

I am looking to convert my Super6 to discs on the rear, however I am having trouble tracking down Sierra calipers/carriers etc. Does anyone have any they they would like to sell?

I have managed to find the adapter plates for sale, however if anyone has any then I would like to pruchase those as well.

I appreciate the support if anyone has anything available or can suggest a source.

Ryan
AndyPearce

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Sorry I can’t help but am interested in how complicated it is to do this. I have drums on the back of my super 6 and wonder how much of an improvement going to discs all round would be?
S70KKO

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Andy,

I've been looking at the costs, Tiger do a HISPEC upgrade kit for the rear which gives you everything you need (calipers, pads, brackets, cables etc.) at a cost of around £400+VAT, I was hoping to do it a little cheaper if possible.

They also do a similar kit to upgrade the fronts which is £430+VAT.

Hope this helps.

Ryan
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi all,

From a personnel point of view I would not be going down the route of fitting disc brakes to the rear of either a Super 6 or R6 as the car will be massively over braked to the rear of the car after having gone down this route on 2 cars now.

The first was a Tiger Super 6 that I had and I got Paul at Tiger racing to fit disc brakes to the rear of the car, the braking ability of the car was worse after the conversion than before as it was massively over brake at the rear and would lock the rear wheels up.

Later I got Tiger Racing to build a new R10 for me, again it had rear disc's but this time had a proportioning valve to restrict the pressure to the rear brakes. I have since modified the car and fitted a full pedal box system with a brake bias but even with this have had issues with the rear of the car being over braked and have now fitted a different master cylinder again to restrict the fluid to the rear of the car.

Based on the experiences I have had over the years if you want good brakes fit a good set of brake pads to the front and use Mintex Shoes on the rear. Most of the braking on this type of car is at the front and the rears do very little.

The best brake pads that I have come across so far are made by Hawk and are a carbon metallic compound that will work from 10 deg to over a 1,000 deg one of the dealers in the UK is a company call "Cambridge Motorsport"    http://www.cambridgemotorsport.com/Brakes

Telephone - 01462 684300

Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the info Gazza, I have the ability to alter the brake bias in my super 6 but was in two minds as to whether changing to rear discs would make it difficult to get the balance right again. 👍
S70KKO

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Gazza,

Thanks for the advice, it’s much appreciated! I have read a little about this and there seems to be mixed reviews on brake disc conversion. I may well try the Mintex brake shoes before going for the full conversion.

I have only had the car about 6 months and haven’t taken it to a track yet, I wanted to try and get the brakes improved before doing so. Out of interest, how did the car perform with the proportioning valve installed? I had looked at this as an option and wondered if it helped resolve the over braking issue.

Cheers,
Ryan
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
The front brakes are the main ones and you need a good set of brake pads up front when you start to push on with the car.

A brake proportioning valve is ok but is only working by restricting the fluid pressure to the front or rear brakes....

For many years it was all that I had fitted to the car and you get used to the system.

When I recently completed a full overhaul / rebuild of the car I fitted a complete pedal box with a Drive by Wire Electronic Throttle.

The difference that a full brake bias makes is incredible and you can also moving the braking force to the rear of the car in the wet to allow the car to brake hard but without locking up the wheels.

Try some of the Hawk Brake Pads first before doing anything else to the car and take things a step at a time so if something isnt working after a upgrade you will know what it is.

Best Regards,

Gazza

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club