Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
cwollen

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Have removed the rear axle for a overhaul.  but before I start would like to identify it correctly.
Have been told that the donor car was a mk III cortina. The diff has a id tag but very corroded.
top left on tag is 4.11 top right cant read bottom of tag from left to right looks like P7888 4004 FA. Does that mean anything to anyone.

thanks 

also any thoughts on rear disk conversion
MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
I assume you have a Super 6 with live axle?

Yes, the donor car was Cortina and some Golf parts, but the axle was Cortina. The age, type etc was whatever they (Tiger) or the builder could get hold of so it would need to be identified. I would call Tiger as they will be able to help and also confirm whether a disk conversion can be done on the type you have (it certainly can be done on some, if not all).

I am not really sure the disk conversion is worth it for all the extra parts/cost, given that most of the braking is done by the front end anyway 😉

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
May be this will help.

John.

https://www.classicfordmag.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/definitive-guide-to-atlas-axles-classic-ford.pdf

bjm305

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
In true kit car fashion... I used disks and calipers off a MR2 out of scrap yard cost about £40 and made the adapter plate. I think I've a drawing for the adapter if you'd like I'm sure I could post it.
if it's worth it...... definitely made a huge difference I think. And for the time and cost it's a no brainer!

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Oh and the other thing if you're really lucky and find one, you really want a cortina ATLAS axle, which was found in some Cortina estates, I think, they have thicker half shafts and the zf limited slip diff from a Capri 2.8 special fits which makes it all good for 400 ponies.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
thanks for the info,
am looking at mr2 calipers but dont know which version is best also what disks to use. Do the mr2 disks fit . The tiger conversion is very costly and they use off the shelf parts, its just knowing what parts are best and what I need to fabricate.

any help would be good
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club