Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Andromeda

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone fitted the Raceline water rail? I love the look of it but there are good and bad reviews on various other forums. My supercat with 2.0 zetec has more hose than I need due to plumbing for what I think was a heater and I just want to simplify it.
Thanks
Brian

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #2 

The raceline water rail is designed for a pressurised system without a header tank.  As our radiators don't have a pressure release cap, you will need to get a separate pressure release tank, plus an overflow bottle to catch and siphon back any coolant expelled by the pressure release cap.

Even then, you need to modify the Raceline rail to allow bypassing the thermostat on the warmup phase, or run without a thermostat which causes too much cooling which in turn causes extra wear on the engine.  This lack of bypass or thermostat is not a problem when you're racing, doing short races at high RPM's which causes more heat, but not ideally suited for road use.  Also, the RetroFord item performs exactly the same task for a fraction of the cost.

By far the better way is to use the original cooling system layout as designed by Ford.  If you have no heater then just bypass it, either by looping a hose where the heater would be, or just capping the inlet side pipe on the thermostat and using a single tee pipe at the front, rather than the Tiger "double-tee" pipe - full details of how the cooling system operates are on my website at http://www.toyne.org.uk/docs-cooling.html
MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOC_Admin

The raceline water rail is designed for a pressurised system without a header tank.  As our radiators don't have a pressure release cap, you will need to get a separate pressure release tank, plus an overflow bottle to catch and siphon back any coolant expelled by the pressure release cap.

Even then, you need to modify the Raceline rail to allow bypassing the thermostat on the warmup phase, or run without a thermostat which causes too much cooling which in turn causes extra wear on the engine.  This lack of bypass or thermostat is not a problem when you're racing, doing short races at high RPM's which causes more heat, but not ideally suited for road use.  Also, the RetroFord item performs exactly the same task for a fraction of the cost.

By far the better way is to use the original cooling system layout as designed by Ford.  If you have no heater then just bypass it, either by looping a hose where the heater would be, or just capping the inlet side pipe on the thermostat and using a single tee pipe at the front, rather than the Tiger "double-tee" pipe - full details of how the cooling system operates are on my website at http://www.toyne.org.uk/docs-cooling.html

The raceline system has a pressurised cap built into it, so you will be OK and it also has a take off for a pressure relief tank, just underneath. Raceline will sell you the catch tank and pipe for that.

It's a good system and I am guessing the 'issues' that you have read about are down to the engine running a little cooler than it should. When I fitted it to mine, the engine ran around 80 degrees, which is a tad cooler than optimum. The way around this can be to cover a small amount of the radiator or as mentioned above.

Great bit of kit and really does make the engine bay neat and tidy - speak to Raceline, they are always more than happy to help and share their knowledge.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for that, as you can see that’s 2 different opinions so far 😂😂. I like the neat and tidy bit of the raceline but don’t want problems as I am planning a few long trips as well as a couple of track day with it.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Could you fit a higher temp thermostat to keep the engine warmer?

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
I would ask Raceline - the track days shouldn't be a problem as the engine will be running hotter and you could cover part of the rad if needed. I am not sure if they have a 'fix' for everyday running as I got mine about 10+ years ago so I would have thought it has moved on for use on road cars (it was originally designed for Zetec in Formula Ford I believe).

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
That’s great will speak to them thanks
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club