Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Bigalblobby1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm just about to install a quick rack conversion on my Cat E1, any recommendations on how to set up the toe in?

TIA
claycock

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Not sure on how you're 'supposed to set it up but would have thought it's a case of measuring the distance between the backs and fronts of the wheels, long steel rule and a couple on right angles...
 Sorry for the useless advice but felt I had to offer something to then ask which kit are you using and where did you get it from, as my last trawl of the forums lead to a 'need to make the mounts yourself' conclusion...

TIA
Chris

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #3 
Big Al, is the question how to go about setting the toe, or what to set it to?

Chris, with regards to the rack cradle, I did post full dimensions not so long ago as it is clear Southways weren't making them any longer, did you find that thread?
Bigalblobby1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Firstly, which way does the cradle face? And then I was asking if there was an easy way of setting the toe, ie. Setting the angle if the wheels at least somewhere near until I can get to a garage.

Oh and yes I did see your thread reply before and very useful, thanks!!
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #5 
The standard rack mounts are higher at the front and lower at the rear.

The quick rack is the opposite way around, lower at the front, higher at the rear.

With regards to setting the toe, I made a crude gauge using 2x2 timber.

Have one length slightly wider than the width of the wheels.  Screw a piece at either end at perfectly 90 degrees to the long piece and then cross brace these pieces diagonally.  This piece needs to be high enough to pass the centre line of the wheels... crude text diagram

|                 |
    /|                 |\
   / |                 | \
  -------------------------

Put this on the floor underneath the car and have the arms vertical.  Make a mark where the centre line of the wheel is on each side as this is the reference we're going to measure from.

Then, carefully measure the distance from the upright to the front of each wheel from the wheel centre-line mark using some vernier calipers or a similarly accurate device - the critical part is not to move the gauge as you go from one side to the other.

Move it to the rear of the wheel and repeat the measurement.

Compare the measurements, adjust and re-measure as necessary until it is somewhere near.

This should then get you close enough to drive safely to somewhere who can set it up properly.

Here is a picture of a "proper" aluminium one which doesn't need the cross braces to keep the upright vertical, but you get the idea what we're trying to copy on the cheap:

[Toe-gauge-alignment-tool-79620] 

Bigalblobby1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Looks like a great idea!! I'll go with that and see How I get on until I can get it checked.

Thanks!
TigerEd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Hi, I was watching the Btcc last week and they used a set of axel stands and a long aluminium rod at the front and rear of the car, the a piece of fishing line down the length of the car. They then squared it up from the centre of each wheel and then measured the toe for each wheel. Seemed a very simple idea.
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #8 
Intriguing - something like this?  https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Precise-Alignment-Toe-in/
Bigalblobby1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Great article which explains it well, thanks!!
TigerEd

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
The pic may help, they are using a frame hung on the car but others used axel stands to hold the rods. The rods have marks on each end to put the fishing line into to keep them parallel.

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_20180729_130646.jpg (9.68 MB, 9 views)

claycock

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Re dimensions of rack cradle - No I didn't see it, have tried searching and can find lots of discussion about southways but no dimensions, would you be kind enough to post a link?

Thanks
Chris

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #12 
The dimensions are at:

https://forums.tigerownersclub.co.uk/post/tiger-cat-e1-steering-rack-9704074?pid=1303825160

Pictures and further information are a few posts before in the same thread.
claycock

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
Awesome - thanks. Doesn't look too hard to knock up (famous last words) will give it ago if I ever finish my current project.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club