Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
bigkiltedwarrior

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

I'm trying to locate the ballast resistor in my ignition circuit as I'm thinking of going to an electric ignition, either accuspark or mappable megajolt.  There is definitely one there as the +ve to the coil is about 9v.

Would the small black square with the silver ring attachment in the attached picture be the ballast resistor?

I don't recall there being anything else in the wiring circuit but it was 10 years ago that I wired the car.

Thanks
Stewart
bigkiltedwarrior

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #2 
sierraleccy.jpg 
weavo56

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #3 
If you go to MegaJolt you don't use the coil 

Graham

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks, correct but I might not go megajolt and was trying to see where from the existing ignition switched live, I could take the 12v feed from.
weavo56

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #5 
Ah  I see , did you measure the voltage on the coli with it all connected up ?
On the tiger cat drawing the Ign circuit looks like it is connected direct to the supply .

G

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #6 
Yes, it's just under 9v at the +ve on the coil. I was assuming that means there's a ballast resistor somewhere between the fuse box and the coil.
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Just a thought here but have you checked the battery output first to make sure it isn't flat?

I apologise if that's a bit obvious.
bigkiltedwarrior

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #8 
Battery is good.
weavo56

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #9 
I've been looking at these ballast resistor systems  and  it says that they use a 9v coil and resistor to give a greater spark when you start up especially in cold weather .When you start full battery voltage is across the coil this may go down to 10v as the engine turns over when its fired the ballast resistor is switched in so as not to burn out the coil .

G

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #10 
I think thats is a capasitor for noise reduction on te radio 
sometimes you got a wissle on the radio that you hear when you throttling
on the gas.
a resisitor is much bigger and white/light yellow an build on a alloy piece

gr Martin
bigkiltedwarrior

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks.  I'm pretty sure there isn't anything else in the circuit but that wouldn't explain why there is only 9ish volts to the coil when the ignition is on/engine not running.

My understanding of the ballast resistor was to allow extra voltage (12v) at cranking and then it kept the voltage at 9v to stop frying the coil when running.

My problem is that if I just go to an Accuspark or similar, I need a 12v ignition switched live, which currently means I would need to run a new wire to supply a 12v coil.
Schrodinger

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
What is the voltage before the resistor? Doesn't the resistor drop the voltage so that the coil gets 9v all of the time ie when cranking and running.

weavo56

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #13 
He can't find the resistor .

You could see if you have a connection from the + of the coil and the small wire on the starter motor .
That would prove that when the motor is turned over you get full battery voltage to the coil .

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 
http://www.accuspark.co.uk/faqs.html#q1
Does this help.
Ian
The suppressor wire is the one going to the black capacitor in your picture.
weavo56

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #15 
good link Tigger  it does explain it very well .

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #16 
Thanks for the link.  This should make things easier.  I only have one wire to +ve and will check the resistance.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club