Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Bigalblobby1

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #1 
I've just bought my first kit and in loving it!

The previous owner didn't know too much, he thought it was a Super6 but it's a Cat E1 with in board front suspension.

I wondered if anyone here knew the car G604PCE built in 2006? I've just picked it up from the Chesterfield area, it drives really nice and in very IMPRESSED!

While I'm here it's running a 205 pinto, thought to be a 2.1

What oil should I use?

What tyres pressures? Running 195 50 15

It's got twin 45's so I would think the engine isntstandard so would like to know more?

Thanks
Carnoustiecat

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi there
           Welcome to the madhouse of kit car ownership.

In answer to your question about tyre pressures......a bit of trial and error required here.....I run my Cat E1 at 18psi.
Whatever you do don't make the mistake of running at similar pressures to your everyday car or you'll be lucky if you
can keep your Tiger in a straight line on the back roads. No need for high pressure due to low weight of the Tiger.

Scott 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Hello and welcome Alan,

Echoing Scott's advice I'd also recommend 16 - 18 psi if you want to preserve your fillings!

20/50 is the grade of oil best suited to the Pinto. I find Halfords Classic is quite adequate but you could also go for Valvoline VR1 (mineral) which is slightly more expensive but is recommended if high engine temperature is an issue.

God luck with your Cat - don't it make you smile!

Michael.

Spent it on fast women and loose cars.
Bigalblobby1

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the replies!!

This is going to be a steep learning curve I see!!

Dick

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Oil is the life blood of the engine contact someone like opie and ask them what they recommend and then buy the best you can for it.
If you cut corners it will bit you in the arse.
My engine originally used 20/50 mineral oil when new in the early 90's After rebuilding it at great expense it now runs on the best fully synthetic oil I can buy. 
RogerCrossley1

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #6 
I'm told that fully synthetic oil in a Pinto engine will do the oil seals a lot of harm. If correct (and I have this from several sources) you should use a semi-automatic or mineral. I've used semi synthetic for over ten years and the engine is as good as gold. Roger.
RogerCrossley1

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #7 
I meant "synthetic" not "automatic". Pesky auto-correct!
Dick

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Roger not sure who told you that and why they would , but we have build lots of pinto's as well as many other types and makes, over many years and i run a sort of pinto in my cat. All these engine run on fully synthetic oil with no problems. The engine like mine are used in hi end motor sport and they have never said to me they have an oil problem. Changing and old tiered engine over from mineral to synthetic is a no no for sure but providing you use quality parts when rebuilding an engine (not rope seal) you wont go wrong. 
Never found an ford engine that wont benefit from running fully synthetic oil
Bigalblobby1

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks for the info!
overdriver

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 

Pinto oil ..... that hoary chestnut again with as many opinions as grades. I'm an adherent of 20/50 for the following reasons. As Duckhams Q & Castrol GTX etc., it was the 'weapon of choice' when the Pinto was originally in production. Yes, I know oil technology has moved on to cater for the demands of advanced engines and, yes, I also know that the composition of current 20/50 has changed due to the reduction of environmentally undesirable constituents, but Valvoline et al are manufacturing this oil specifically for engines of this vintage. Thus it is designed for purpose. Over the years I have used it in BMC, Triumph (4 & 6 cyl), Jaguar XK and Rover V8 engines as well as the Pinto with no failures due to lubrication problems.

Whilst I have also heard that synthetic oil is less 'sympathetic' to seals (by virtue of their design or composition I'm not sure), it is the solvent aspect that is more cause for concern. A synthetic oil will loosen what can be best described as 'crud' from galleries. That sounds a good thing but there is very real potential for this debris to create blockages - the crucial camshaft spray bar with its 'pin' holes is a particularly vulnerable area.

So if you can be certain that your Pinto is absolutely clear of 20, 30 or 40 years of residual build up then a synthetic is fine. If you're not sure ...... 20/50 wont do any harm.

Finally, a local well respected builder of BMC competition and BriSCA F2 Pinto engines always use Valvoline VR 1 - and their engines are scrupulously clean!

Michael.

Spent it on fast women and loose cars.
Dimbit

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
20w50, like what the original haynes manual says to put in it and what the designers had in mind.
Start at 18psi and tweak until you're happy. (I ended up with slightly more in the fronts and a little less in the rears)
Loads of us have twin 45s on pintos. Nothing out of the ordinary there.
Enjoy.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
Gents things have moved on from 30 years ago 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club