Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
spannered

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, new to the forum and kitcars - had a TVR S3 previously which I sold when my Daughter came along 9 years ago.
Looking to get myself an Avon at some point in the near future.
Ideally I'd like to be able to spec and buy a new factory build zetec - but unfortunately that won't happen.
So looking at the lower end of the budget how does the Pinto stack up in the Avon?
I know it gets referred to as a boat anchor but my research leads me to believe that there's probably 'only' 15-20kg difference (so an extra tank of fuel or thereabouts).
The engine looks like it sits fairly well behind the front wheels so should be fairly well balanced.
Also depending on what's been done to the engine would I be correct in thinking a 2.0 with twin 45's should put out somewhere between 130-150bhp? So should still give a power to weight of around 200bhp/ton (assuming between 500-600kg vehicle weight).
I'm not after anything earth shatteringly fast - looking at B road blasts and the occasional track day.
Sorry for the long rambling post - any advice on the above greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
overdriver

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Evening Chris and welcome (great surname by the way!).

Can't help with Avon details I'm afraid - a while ago I might have been more help with the TVR having owned a 2500 as a (much) younger man.

However, you are correct in your suggestion of 130 - 150 bhp from a well set up Pinto with decent carbs and cam. Some of us have a great fondness for the traditional flavour of the old 8 valve and it still lends itself to further development with different types of carbs - Webers or bike carbs etc. - and ignition upgrades. The recent survey of Tiger Cats undertaken by Richard of Southways shows that 51% of Cats have Pinto engines.

Good luck in your search, whatever motive power you end up with.

Michael.

Spent it on fast women and loose cars.
spannered

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the reply Michael - greatly appreciated.
The user name reflects my usual physical condition - since I got the wrong side of 40 I don't heal or bounce as well as I used to lol.
Apparently I'm not to be trusted with tools either after dislocating my thumb last year using an allen key when building my current mountain bike........
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Chris, welcome aboard. Friendly bunch on here 😊
Iβ€˜ve just picked up another pinto powered Tiger with twin 45’s on it (Micheal told me that twin 45’s should be the next upgrade on my last tiger which was running a single 32/36 carb)... this one’s been rolling roaded at 140 bhp and also comes with an additional cam and jets which will push it to 150 bhp. Michael was right, it’s much faster and feels perfect for the B roads around Shropshire.

Andy
overdriver

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Actually Chris it was our common surname I was referring to.

There is no wrong side of 40 - healing is overrated and bouncing not to be recommended.

Incidentally Andy, when I suggested getting new carbs I didn't mean you had to buy the whole bloody car!

Michael.

Spent it on fast women and loose cars.
spannered

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Haha sorry Micheal it was late - yes it's a great name until people put an 's' on the end lol
spannered

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the reply Andy - greatly appreciated.
Some great roads you have around Shropshire & the Welsh boarders.

I think 150bhp would be plenty for my use - would be around 250bhp/ton so would be plenty sprightly enough!
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spannered
Haha sorry Micheal it was late - yes it's a great name until people put an 's' on the end lol

🀣 saved a fortune on upgrades though!!
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriver
Actually Chris it was our common surname I was referring to.

There is no wrong side of 40 - healing is overrated and bouncing not to be recommended.

Incidentally Andy, when I suggested getting new carbs I didn't mean you had to buy the whole bloody car!

Michael.

Try again!... saved a fortune on upgrades though! 🀩
neilp

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Buy one with pinto fitted, once you are ready for more power swap it out for duratec or sell on and purchase another.
You'll still have loads of fun with a pinto powered 7

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks for all the replies - greatly appreciated.
Considering this one that Tiger have for sale at the moment:
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies - greatly appreciated.
Considering this one that Tiger have for sale at the moment:

Nice πŸ‘
MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
I had a pinto powered Avon and it will certainly be fun and a good entry - I then converted it to Duratec, which is way more fun.

Personally, I don't think there will be that much difference in price between a pinto and a zetec, so personally, if you're not going to want the expense of converting the pinto to duratec, I would go for a blacktop zetec πŸ˜‰

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCopsey
I had a pinto powered Avon and it will certainly be fun and a good entry - I then converted it to Duratec, which is way more fun.

Personally, I don't think there will be that much difference in price between a pinto and a zetec, so personally, if you're not going to want the expense of converting the pinto to duratec, I would go for a blacktop zetec πŸ˜‰

Hi Mark, when you say β€˜way more fun’ what changed in the drive that made you feel that way? That wasn’t supposed to sound like a psychologist 🀣
MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #15 
There was much more power and the engine is lighter (so better power to weight ratio) so with those two points it just made it much faster to accelerate either from a stationary start or when overtaking. I liked the pinto for the carb noise etc but the Duratec put a bigger smile on my face.

Before the Avon I had a Blacktop zetec'd Super Six, which was fun too πŸ˜‰

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCopsey
There was much more power and the engine is lighter (so better power to weight ratio) so with those two points it just made it much faster to accelerate either from a stationary start or when overtaking. I liked the pinto for the carb noise etc but the Duratec put a bigger smile on my face.

Before the Avon I had a Blacktop zetec'd Super Six, which was fun too πŸ˜‰

Good insight thanks mate πŸ˜πŸ‘
spannered

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #17 
Thanks again guys - greatly appreciated.

Looks like about 20kg difference between Pinto & Zetec, and 30kg difference between Pinto & Duratec.

I'd prefer the Duratec as the exhaust is drivers side - would make it easier for the wife (limited mobility) to get in and out, but at the moment a Duratec is out of budget.

ejt7777

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #18 
I don't know if anyone has put one in a Tiger, but Ford's Sigma (Zetec SE) is very light - approx 50kgs lighter than a Pinto - and the inlet/exhausts are on the same side as the Pinto and Duratec. The 1.6 can be pretty easily tuned to 150bhp(ish), and parts available via the likes of ShawSpeed.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #19 
Was the Sigma the engine that went in the Puma?
They did a 1.7vvt version didn't they?
althecate1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #20 

https://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-zetec-se-tuning-guide.html

the sigma is the Zetec SE I believe.

Alec

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #21 
Thanks guys - greatly appreciated.
But looks like the Avon will have to wait - facing possible redundancy over the next few weeks so need to keep the pennies in the bank [frown]
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Thanks guys - greatly appreciated.
But looks like the Avon will have to wait - facing possible redundancy over the next few weeks so need to keep the pennies in the bank [frown]

Sorry to hear that mate 😭 I wish you all the best for the future.
CatGent

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #23 
I have put a Zetec Se in my Cat. Engine came from a crashed Westfield with 500 miles on the clock. 
Installed throttle bodies from Webcon because the normal intake was to large for the Tiger chassis.
Very light engine, fun to drive.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club