Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
mike26950

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #1 

OK Its time for a new project on the old Tiger, and this time it’s a biggie !

First a little background :-  my car is a Cat E1, pretty original in appearance but lots of mods under the surface. Engine is a 2 litre Pinto, ported big valve head, Kent FR30, Megajolt and Weber 36DGV. Goes pretty well, pulls like a train but ultimately a bit tame power wise.

Now I reckon the car could cope with a new more powerful engine as it already has has 4 wheel discs and a big alloy radiator etc .

Yes I know the logical answer is probably not to sink any more money into this car and upgrade to a newer and better Tiger, however I have so much of myself ( time and cash ) invested in this one that I’m not considering that option ( sorry Paul !) . A well sorted Cat with adequate power will certainly keep me happy.

So what will the new engine be ?

Definitely a Ford, much as the Red Top Vauxhall and Honda S2000 are great engines.

So my list was :-

Serious 2.1 Pinto

Black Top Zetec

Duratec

Zetec SE

NA Cosworth YB.

Now I know that the sensible option is probably to spend £1000 on a new black top and get a Weber Alpha set up from Paul, but that’s not my plan ( sorry again Paul !)

Never one to take the easy route, I’ve decided to go for a naturally aspirated Cosworth YB ( Sierra Cosworth) engine.

Reasons :-

Based on the good old Pinto the YB will fit with minimal mods to the car, eg engine mounts unchanged.

Actually what I have in mind is a Pinto/Cosworth hybrid, which means that clutch, flywheel, starter, big wing sump etc can all be reused at least initially.

My well sorted Megajolt set up will still be used and fueling will be supplied by 45/48 Webers.

Most important is that this will be a challenging and enjoyable ( I hope ) project, with that Cosworth valve cover being an iconic and evocative sight.

Target power is 200 which I’m confident can be achieved without braking the bank.

I will document my progress in detail and any suggestions or input will be welcome.

Watch this space !

pauld

Trader
Reply with quote  #2 
Nice one Mike if you can find one then do it as long as it keeps you enjoying your tiger then my work here is done , but if you need a hand you always know where I am
Dick

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Easy job and rembere a cosworth was originally a twin cam pinto engine. They went turbo for the big power. You can use your old block crank sump flywheel and even the rods if you wish. But if it was me I would change rods to cosworth ones as they are stronger. You will need to Change the Pistons these are not uncommon. If you are going to high revs then you need to dowel the flywheel. The asperadted heads do come up on a auction site as people use a damaged turbo head. The thing to check is the head thickness.. You will need big vales and good cams to get it to go. If you want to talk it over drop me a pm
mike26950

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for your support Paul. There is absolutely no way I can get through a project like this without a few trips to Wisbech for some advice and to part with lots of cash !!

Appreciate your advice Dick.  I shall be building up a new engine so the car can stay on the road until the new one is ready. 

I have been given a 205 block which came from an RS2000 which blew up just outside Wisbech on its way to a Tiger Open Day !!!

Crank will be standard Pinto ( good to 8k rpm ) and fitting Cosworth rods is a no-brainer when they are regularly on Ebay for around £150.  I already have a bare 2WD Cosworth cylinder head which requires extensive porting. Not sure if bigger valves are necessary but will probably go for +1mm oversize which dont require the seats to be changed. Pistons will be Wossner, probably 93mm to give almost 2.1 capacity and a decent compression ratio. Not sure about cams yet but probably L2 or similar. 

Still at the research, planning and parts gathering stage. Really looking forward to getting stuck in.
Dick

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
The cosworth asp engine running high compression will breath a bit (they all do) so you need to make sure you build in a good breather system b4 you put in the car. Easy way to do it is get the 90deg take off and fix in the block and make sure you have one fitted to the cam cover they are not fitted with one as standard. You then run both these to a breather tank and a good place is fitted to the back of the engine on the bulk head. You can then remove the plug in the side of the block the exhaust side and run a drain return to it so you never have to empty the tank.. When building please dowl the crank as iI said in the other post. You don't need arp mains or head bolts just the big ends. A high volume pump is better than just high pressure they are available if you look but are not cheap . Buy a proper water pump as well lots of rubbish about. High lift cams may need solid lifters but they are not to bad to do some require the buckets to be enlarged
JohnSix

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
If your going down the Cosworth route just seen these for sale.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/motorsport/parts-and-accessories/motorsport-parts/pair-of-bd10-cams-and-hydraulic-lifters-for-2wd-cosworth-yb-engine/5007633?v=b

John.
bjm305

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Morning all, I looked into this a few years ago now and decided against the yb route based on costs and like you I like a challenge. So I went for a honda 2.2 VTEC it actually came out of a prelude and cost about £600 in standard trim it produces 200hp and redline is 8000 rpm. So without long exhaust, air conditioning and with a bit of tuning thanks to hondata on the dyno it kicked out 265 ponies....
Very nice, now the down sides are it runs backwards therefore the axle is upside down, I had to have made an adapted flywheel, used the mx5 gearbox which is good and make a bracket to align the starter motor (which I made a rubbish job of doing). You are welcome to have a look is your near derby?
Regards Ben

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club