Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
dsmit186

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, 
I've managed to squeeze a MT75 gearbox from a sierra DOHC into my tiger cat, i know its been well documented that it can't be done, but with very few quick mods it has gone in relatively trouble free. the gearbox is an interesting option if you want to up the power in your cat, as this box will easily take up to 240lb of torque and is good for just over 200bhp. 

Points you need to bear in mind. 

As tiger don't recommend this box they also don't supply a propshaft which will suit the MT75, Westfield do but it is very expensive and is a bit to short in length. So i had one made by my local propshaft manufacturer (£120). 

Also I had to make an adapter plate that would allow the propshaft to be connect via the 3 holed coupling that is connected to the output shaft of the MT75 box, (Disregarding the large metal coupling which comes on box as standard)

The speedo cable is on the same side as the type 9 box which helps if converting from sierra box. Also the gearbox mount from a type 9 can be used, and is in exactly the same place on the chassis. 

One thing you do need to buy from Westfield if you are like me running a 2.0L zetec engine is the clutch bearing (£55+VAT) no way around this I'm afraid as it needs to be around 25mm longer than the standard MT75 & Type 9 clutch bearings, and Westfield are the only suppliers i could find who use this bearing. 

Finally the gearstick remote is probably the most tricky to convert, again you can have a look at Westfield option but its very expensive so i had a go myself. I achieved this by cutting the original MT75 remote housing and shaft, and welding a 4" extension sandwiched between the original, I chose to use 1" angle iron and this did the trick, I have been using this gearbox for the last 6 years with no problems.

Cheers Dave. MT75-lever-assembly before I extended it.jpg   

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Some pics to follow MT75 GearboxZ.jpg 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
MT75 Gearbox in Tiger Cat.jpg  MT75 Gearbox mount same as Type 9 mount.jpg  MT75 Gearbox output shaft & adaptor plate to propshaft.jpg  MT75 Gearbox to Zetec Starter motor side (2).jpg  MT75 GearboxZ.jpg

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Updated pic

Attached Images
jpeg 20200620_161948.jpg (126.16 KB, 15 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club