Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Spanneredmonkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Ok after a lot of late nights and trawling through parts and Internet blogs I have finished the engine and brakes now I have to mount the engine, I found a box of parts with what I think to be kit car bits, (I got the project to build for my father in law so have boxes of parts with no real understanding of what's what)
The gearbox mount is just metal, is it ment to have a rubber? I take it that it just bolts metal to metal on the gearbox? The engine ones seem straight forward, it's the gearbox that's puzzling me, I also found a weird h shape welded bracket, with what looks like some jigged angles on it, have no idea what that is for, will get a photo next time I am down the workshop, I also would like the template for the exhaust side panel so I can make one for the pipes to go through, if anyone can help with that, much appreciated gents for any help I can get, I would like to get it all Plummed in and running between now and early Jan while I have some time from work that I can be in the workshop everyday
hearntd

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,

Pictures will help a lot, but the gearbox should have a rubber block with a metal Base which then fits to the chassis. The mount is the ford one from the Sierra from memory.
Spanneredmonkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
yeah thought as much, I need to try and find a block, I may give burton power a wee call, they have been pretty helpfull while I have been learning about ford engines and gearboxes.....I usually play with aircooled VW stuff
Spanneredmonkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
http://www.burtonpower.com/std-gearbox-mount-ford-sierra-5-speed-type-9-gbt9400.html

is this what i need to bolt in to the metal plate that tiger supplied? I assume that this is a metal/rubber mix?
Heresy0uk

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #5 
Thats what Ive got on mine.
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #6 
That is the only part you should need. The chassis should have two box sections that this sits on and bolts to.
Spanneredmonkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Is it just metal or metal and rubber? The one that I have that was given to me in the kit is just metal,it fits between the box sections where it is ment to but looks like it needs a rubber insert,
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
The engine mounts should be made up of 4 parts in total.... 2 parts om each side....

There should be a tubular part with flat plates at each end....

One end should have 4 holes in the plate which is to attach the engine mount to the engine the other end should have 1 hole in the middle which is where the stud in the rubber engine attaches too.

You need to get 2 blocks of wood the same thickness as the rubber engine mounts....

Attached / welded to the lower chassis rail in the engine bay will be 2 flat plates. They will be different shapes / size but this is normal.

Bolt the engine and gear box together and lift into place in the engine bay, the Sierra rubber gear box mount and prop shaft will give you a guide as to where the engine and gear box need to be along with measurements in the build manual.

Lower the engine onto the wooden blocks which are sitting on the steel plates and move the engine until its central and in the correct place.

Now clamp the engine mount, wooden blocks to the steel mounting plates so they are secure. You can now use the hole in the lower mount as a guide to drill through, ensure you keep the drill square so the engine remains in the same place.

Lastly... release the clamps, Lift the engine up enough to remove the wooden blocks and slide the rubber mounts into place .... lower the engine back down so the studs on the rubber mounts can locate into the holes and tighten the nuts.

The engine mounts can be bought from Tiger Racing which ensure you get the right parts and correct height so the engine is not too low or too high.

Gazza 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you, yeah I have the engine mounts and am happy that i can fit them, its the gearbox that I am struggling wit, not the actual fitting of it again thats straight forward, its the composition of the mount thats proving difficult, Alas i feel we will go round in circles until I get some pictures to show you what I mean, which i will try and get later today
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Hi again, 

If you dont have a Gear Box Mount give Paul or Laura a call at Tiger Racing and they should be able to get one posted out to you for the next day.

The gear box mount needs to be bolted on top of the support bars in the tunnel. You might find that the holes havent been drilled so with the engine, gearbox in place you need to do as follows;

Place the gear box mount on the top of the bars located in the prop shaft tunnel.

Lift the back of the gear box up using a trolly jack and install / fit the bolt to hold it in place to the mount.

Slack the trolly jack off so the gear box should now be supported by the mount.

Move the engine and gear box into place so the tail of the gear box and prop shaft are located in the correct position in the tunnel.

Clamp the gear box mount into place and use the holes located in it to act as a guide to drill through using a full size drill bit to give a centre mark.

You can then use a smaller drill bit to give a pilot hole and then open it up from there.

The standard Sierra gear box mount it fine as we use these on the racing cars, the reason being is that you need some movement / flex to prevent damage to the gear box from the curbs on a racing circuit or pot holes on the road.

Gazza 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Ok just been down the workshop... have sussed it.....

I have in the box of spares a black metal plate with space for a mount in the middle, that has been modded from an old type 9 plate  and also a vibra tech mount for the gear box, the father in law 'forgot to tell me he up spec'd the gear box mount and the thickness of the engine mounts' so I have a gear box mount..... so Thats mystery squared will get that fitted in the next few days....

I have found these parts which i am unsure where they go, anyone shed some light on it I would be much appreciate it.

untitled.JPG 

Its been a bit of a nightmare as i never unpacked anything that came from tiger when he bought the car, and cannot be sure that everything made the trip 6 years later from leeds to Basingstoke....for me to build it

Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
The part in the Left Picture is for the expansion tank and normally is fitted using self tapping bolts into the box section rail that runs above the gear box / prop shaft tunnel in the engine bay where there is a flat area.

In the picture you have it upside down and the water bottle slides in from the top.

I have no idea what the other part is for???

Gazza

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #13 
Spare wheel holder?? just a guess as I don't have one?

Ed
Spanneredmonkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 
That could be a good shout on the spare wheel retainer! Cheers for the info on The other bit, I shouldn't need it as I have a square ally header/expansion tank, ally catch can that all fit in the area the plastic one should go,
Noddy_meyer

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #15 
Jock, I am based in Bramley just off the A33 if you need to view anything on the car or have any questions.. Gareth
Spanneredmonkey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #16 
Mate that would be ace, I may have to take you up on that, Being a helicopter engineer I am used to exact drawings plans and measurements, alas this is totally different in a weird new way for me, I am getting there, its just taking a while, and I am just finding it hard to square the little things away that i cant find photos/or diagrams for ( for example where people have routed the front brake lines, where and what master cylinders need a compensation valve etc etc)
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #17 
Hi again, 

Have you tried looking at or using the "Download" tab at the top of the Forum Page?

It has plans / instructions on building most of the Tiger Cars, these are not going to be as precise as you are used too.

Which also explains why when looking at Tiger Cars people have all come up with their own solutions to the problems they have encountered.

Gazza 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #18 
yes thank you Gazza, I have read the download section to be honest I have got more information from other build diary's, and what i cant find out from there i have asked for and members here have obliged with answers so all is good
overdriver

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanneredmonkey
Cheers for the info on The other bit, I shouldn't need it as I have a square ally header/expansion tank, ally catch can that all fit in the area the plastic one should go,

Just before you sling the expansion chamber bracket, you may like to be aware that it also doubles (on mine at least) as the battery retaining clamp.

DSCF1224.jpg 

But as no two Tigers are the same........

Michael.

Spent it on fast women and loose cars.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club