Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
J90RDN

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Had my Avon for some years now, purchased as an ex-race car with no engine or box. Original intention was to throw a crate engine Zetec in with a Type9 and get it on track (will only ever be a track car - no IVA). Then I got reading about the RX8 box, and having had a Mk1 MX5 turbo track car previously I knew how fantastic the Mazda gearboxes were, and remembering my dad's old Sierra, remembering that it's box wasn't exactly stella, so within a few weeks a 6 speed RX8 box was purchased, along with an adapter plate from Jonathon Hughes.

When I purchased the box I knew the Avon tunnel was too narrow to accommodate, but having a close friend who is an engineer is very very helpful!!!

Life and a Mk3 197 Clio track car got in the way, so fast forward 2 years and a few weeks ago I thought it was high-time I got started on the project, so to hopefully help others I will post pics here of progress over the coming weeks/months.

As there is going to be a fair bit of cutting, welding and fabrication going on, and as I'd read that the Avon slings the engine a little further forward than some 7 kit cars, I thought it would also be a good idea to try and get the engine a little further back, so looking to get a good 3 inches improvement. Time will tell.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Here's how she started
[NWErEy]
[u0UTMd]

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Mid cutting
[jPql1O]
[r3D5H0]
We welded the new supports alongside the old ones, before cutting the old ones out, to ensure we kept everything as square as possible (beginning to suspect an ex-race car probably isn't very square!!)

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
End result
[8rx9P6]

Only the bottom rails needed changing - tops were left in original place. Gearbox offered up and fits, but the rear of the tunnel will need some work to accommodate a new gearbox mount, and the repositioning of the engine. 

New stiffer engine mounts have arrived from Tiger Racing, and waiting for a few different types of gearbox rubber mounts to arrive (from landrover).

More progress in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club