Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
J90RDN

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Had my Avon for some years now, purchased as an ex-race car with no engine or box. Original intention was to throw a crate engine Zetec in with a Type9 and get it on track (will only ever be a track car - no IVA). Then I got reading about the RX8 box, and having had a Mk1 MX5 turbo track car previously I knew how fantastic the Mazda gearboxes were, and remembering my dad's old Sierra, remembering that it's box wasn't exactly stella, so within a few weeks a 6 speed RX8 box was purchased, along with an adapter plate from Jonathon Hughes.

When I purchased the box I knew the Avon tunnel was too narrow to accommodate, but having a close friend who is an engineer is very very helpful!!!

Life and a Mk3 197 Clio track car got in the way, so fast forward 2 years and a few weeks ago I thought it was high-time I got started on the project, so to hopefully help others I will post pics here of progress over the coming weeks/months.

As there is going to be a fair bit of cutting, welding and fabrication going on, and as I'd read that the Avon slings the engine a little further forward than some 7 kit cars, I thought it would also be a good idea to try and get the engine a little further back, so looking to get a good 3 inches improvement. Time will tell.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Here's how she started
[NWErEy]
[u0UTMd]

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Mid cutting
[jPql1O]
[r3D5H0]
We welded the new supports alongside the old ones, before cutting the old ones out, to ensure we kept everything as square as possible (beginning to suspect an ex-race car probably isn't very square!!)

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
End result
[8rx9P6]

Only the bottom rails needed changing - tops were left in original place. Gearbox offered up and fits, but the rear of the tunnel will need some work to accommodate a new gearbox mount, and the repositioning of the engine. 

New stiffer engine mounts have arrived from Tiger Racing, and waiting for a few different types of gearbox rubber mounts to arrive (from landrover).

More progress in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Bit more progress over the last few weeks. Engine mounts moved approx 75mm back and fabrication on rear gearbox mount complete. Temporarily using one of the old tiger engine mounts as a gearbox mount until I find something more suitable. Moving the engine and box back by 75mm should help handling and has the added bonus of moving the gear-lever a little closer to the driver.

[5lMpTW]
[csmzwA]

Also ordered an OBP floor mounted pedal box to replace the old tiger arrangement. Was a little cramped as I'd widened the transmission tunnel to accommodate the RX box, thus decreasing the foot-space area, but fits OK with a little trimming. Welded in place as it will never need to be taken out.

[CXrXr8]

Ordered the kit-car version with the rear cut out to accommodate the box section, but wasn't needed in the end.

Next challenge will be the steering rack in a few weeks, where I'm hoping to use a spherical bearing to guide the column down into the engine bay.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Few more pics of the new mounts and gearbox mount in place.

[dPiVIm]
[VqFb6T]
[xbAthv]
[SVFkSl]

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Really great work and good photos I was just wondering what diff and prop are you going to use?
J90RDN

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi. The car came with a 7.5" Ford open diff, with what looks like a Tiger modified Prop Shaft. My options are to either have this shortened and balanced, along with fitting the front knuckle from the RX8 prop, or some people have been shortening the Carbon Fibre RX8 prop to fit. Still undecided, as a Carbon Fibre prop would be very nice!!!

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by J90RDN
Hi. The car came with a 7.5" Ford open diff, with what looks like a Tiger modified Prop Shaft. My options are to either have this shortened and balanced, along with fitting the front knuckle from the RX8 prop, or some people have been shortening the Carbon Fibre RX8 prop to fit. Still undecided, as a Carbon Fibre prop would be very nice!!!

Agreed a carbon prop would be nice but its all down to cost in the end I suppose as I don't think it would be a cheapish job to have the carbon prop modified
J90RDN

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by riber3

Agreed a carbon prop would be nice but its all down to cost in the end I suppose as I don't think it would be a cheapish job to have the carbon prop modified

Not sure, as a couple of people on FaceBook have managed to remove the yoke, cut down the carbon prop to size, and re-press in the yoke. They've also made an adaptor to connect the Mazda rear flange to the Ford diff flange, so overall if you can find someone to make the adaptor, and re-balance the prop, then might not be as expensive as it sounds.

Investigating further.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
In the end took all the parts and measurements to Dave Mac in Coventry and they have made me up a custom prop. Should be picking it up tomorrow, but it wasn't cheap!!!!!

Have also modified the steering column so will post that separately. 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
Look forward to seeing the the new steering nod and the prop in place
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club