Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
S70KKO

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the world of Kit Cars so i'm looking for advice. I have a Super6 with a 2.0 Silvertop Zetec. It has been driving fine throughout the summer, however recently I have noticed a juddering coming from the rear under heavy accelleration.

I wondered if anyone had experienced something similar and could point me in the right direction.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Ryan
MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
I would have a look round and see it you can see any cracks - could be that the trailing rods that bolt the rear axcel to the chassis have cracked and it's moving slightly? (it will be where the arm meets the cylincer bit that holds the bushes)

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
I'll take a look this evening, Thanks Mark!
S70KKO

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Got it spot on Mark, the lower one is snapped on both sides. Really glad to have caught the issue before the axle departed at 70mph.

Have you changed one of these before? Just wondering about the best way to go about it. Was thinking about supporting the weight of the axle with a jack and removing it that way?

Thanks for your help!
MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
No worries, thought it might be that. If you speak to Tiger that made some better quality arms that shouldn't suffer the same.

You will need to take the seat out I think to get access to the front of the arms and then like you say, I would jack the car up and put it on stands and then use the jack to support the rear axle. I don't think it will be the worst job but I think you'll need two people to move stuff to line it up whilst your getting the bolts back in.

Mark

PS - I would replace all the bushes at the same time if I were you. You don't want to have to take it all back apart when they go. Let us know how you get on.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Cheers Mark! I have just ordered two new arms & poly bushes from Tiger, planning to fit them at the weekend. I’ll let you know how I get on!
Ryan
MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Excellent and good luck 😉

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Finally got around to changing the trailing arms, was a bigger job than I imagined. Firstly you have to remove the seats to access the trailing arm bolts. Due to the upper arms being broken on both sides the axle had rotated backwards slightly offsetting the bush and the bracket by about 10mm. After having no luck straightening it I had to disconnect both suspension springs and support both sides of the axle with a jack. This allowed me (with some brute force) to connect the new trailing arms. It was then just a case of putting it all back together and the juddering problem is now solved. Think this would have been much easier if only one was broken as the other one would have kept the axle correctly located.

Thanks again for your help!

Ryan
MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Glad you got it done Ryan and sorted it before something properly let go!!

Just keep an eye on them in the future to spot it early should it happen again.

Mark

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club