Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
8dja

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,
Looking for some advice on putting a tiger which has already been 99% completed in for IVA test.

It looks like it needs a little bit of tidying up but the builder didn’t take any pictures during build, He does not have a V5 for donor car but does have the VIN plate.

Is this likely to be a headache to try and take over and pass IVA without completely stripping down and starting from scratch?

Thanks
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Sent you a pm that might help.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Good info through PM thanks Brandon. Onwards and upwards David, there’s gotta be one out there for you! 😁👍
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
If you think it's an up hill struggle then would love to tinker again on a part built jobbie if you get rid !
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vji4058
If you think it's an up hill struggle then would love to tinker again on a part built jobbie if you get rid !

This is a tiger that’s on eBay at the moment Brandon. I was going to look over it for David and have been in contact with the owner today. Nice guy 72 years old, unfortunately he’s not well has also lost his storage facility at his friend’s lockup.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F174086048861
vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Looks a decent build, too far for me look over it myself.
8dja

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
From the pictures it does look like a good opportunity, the lack of donor docs, V5 & build pictures is what was concerning me.
Wouldn’t want to be stuck having to start from scratch to rebuild and still end up with a q plate
Dord

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
Looks decent enough, I bought Avery similar project about three years ago hoping it would be a very quick step to IVA but once you get into it you can find issues but most are easily overcome.
The main issues with mine were electrical wiring, it had been wired completely wrong but the seller did tell me he couldn’t fathom it himself. Other things I found were none of the water hoses were tightened ( resulted in me having a very hot sauna one day) , very few of the bolts had been torqued up and the engine wasn’t very happy at all when I got it going.
But if you enjoy a challenge and problem solving then snap it up, I thoroughly enjoyed sorting mine out

Banned
Reply with quote  #10 
If you have teo major components there is no need to do a IVA test. Just apply for a v5 from the number plate or chassis number and take the car in for a normal MOT. I did this and the car is driving just fine.

[MODERATOR EDIT: Please note, the validity of this advice is questionable, please see further down the thread for more information]
MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona
If you have teo major components there is no need to do a IVA test. Just apply for a v5 from the number plate or chassis number and take the car in for a normal MOT. I did this and the car is driving just fine.

You might want to confirm what you mean here?

Are you thinking that the original posters car has already been IVA'd and is simply going through a strip down and rebuild - if so, you are correct

If you are saying that he can get a chassis, put some parts off of a car on it and then pass it off as the original car, you are not correct - and this is ILLEGAL

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #12 
Daytona, I'm intrigued as to which two major components you claim you have used to keep the donor registration and bypass the need for an IVA?
daytona

Banned
Reply with quote  #13 
[POLITICAL NONSENSE REMOVED]

The two major components are the electrical system and the engine. In another car I have retained the engine, gearbox, electrical system and suspension system.
Schrodinger

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 
That sounds remarkably like a ringer to me. The DVLA says that if you have made ANY changes to the original chassis then you need an IVA with only a wiring loom (which doesn't count as a major component) and engine (which does) you would be lucky to get an age related plate after an IVA.
MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #15 
You wouldn't get an age related plate and would certainly need an IVA. Caterham has to be careful of crashed cars in the academy series and keep a note of items changed if there is an accident to make sure that a new IVA is not required. What has been put here would certainly need an IVA.

Banned
Reply with quote  #16 
Why would anyone care about a number plate? I don't want any on my cars.
In some countries you can get whatever you want for $25
daytona

Banned
Reply with quote  #17 
Please note my comment said electrical system. Not a wiring harness. I used all the components that were relevant including the ECU. I don't have A/C so subsytems like this were eliminated.
MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #18 
We are talking about UK legislation where you do need a registration plate on your car, where are you based?

Also, even the wiring harness, lights, ECU still don't count as a major component (even though you might consider it to be).

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #19 
Below is directly from the DVLA, just with motorbike references removed as we're talking about cars - the original is at: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/rebuilt-vehicles

I fail to see how, building a kit car of the sort we're talking about here uses either the original or a new chassis/monocoque, so it DOES NOT meet the first criteria for retaining the registration number.  If you are claiming it does, then at best this is fraud.

Keep a vehicle’s original registration number

A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

• the original unmodified chassis or bodyshell (car or light van)
  • a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van)

You must also have 2 other major components from the original vehicle from the following lists.

For cars or light vans:

• suspension (front and back)
  • steering assembly
  • axles (both)
  • transmission
  • engine
daytona

Banned
Reply with quote  #20 
Please note these regulations only apply if you want to retain the original number plate.
Please note I know of 2 Ford GT40's running around with the same chassis number. Is that illegal?
I lived overseas where you could get just about any plate you wanted for $25. I don't want any plates on my cars but it does simplify life.
To the comment about the electrical system doesn't count as a major component, I haven't seen many cars that don't require some type of electrical system. So I would say that is kinda major. When the regulation was being written I think the DVBLA was afraid someone would retain an item like an alternator and call it major. 

MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Please note these regulations only apply if you want to retain the original number plate.
Please note I know of 2 Ford GT40's running around with the same chassis number. Is that illegal?
I lived overseas where you could get just about any plate you wanted for $25. I don't want any plates on my cars but it does simplify life.
To the comment about the electrical system doesn't count as a major component, I haven't seen many cars that don't require some type of electrical system. So I would say that is kinda major. When the regulation was being written I think the DVBLA was afraid someone would retain an item like an alternator and call it major. 

So to confirm, you are not in the UK and what you are saying is totally illegal in the UK for kit cars for which this forum is intended. Therefore no credibility should be given to what you are saying/suggesting for the builders on this site - Perfect, thanks 😉

Not sure why you have added political comments to your posts, but again, thanks although I will continue to form my own judgments and vote accordingly 😉

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:

I don’t really know what you’re trying to say but it doesn’t seem to make much sense. 🤔
Navigiter

Forum Donor 2017
Reply with quote  #23 

Building anew, rebuilding or just checking a new buy over and then getting it examined in detail by somebody who knows what they are doing is a major part of the enjoyment of owning a kit car.

Shortcutting the process doesn't seem to amount to gaining the full benefit of ownership somehow but each to his, or her, own. Outright cheating the system whatever the gain makes the end result less satisfactory.

Navigiter.

daytona

Banned
Reply with quote  #24 
Feel free to put limitations on your life but please don't stop me from exercising my free will

MODERATOR EDIT: Your posts have been edited or deleted as this forum is not for political discussion and/or trolling.  Please feel free to exercise your free will elsewhere as it will be not be tolerated here.
Dord

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #25 
A bit too clever for me, I just come here to be friendly with like minded kit guys but think I’m in the wrong place lol
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club