Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
riber3

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
I cannot believe its now 20 years since my Cat got its date of first registration on its V5c. How the time has flown past and now Timmy the Tiger has reached Classic Car Status!!

I know this might not mean much to some people but for me me he has been a real joy and passion and a big part of the family including the pets!! (don't ask!!)

I hope a lot of you have had a lot of happy memories with your cars as well as the frustrations we all share from time to time.

I am not sure what I am going to do next with him but I think he deserves a treat so I might finally finish off his tonneau cover and I always fancied making him a hard top but for now it might just be some fluffly dice (just kidding lol!!)

So many thanks to Tiger cars for such a well designed car and if you have some happy memories feel free to share!!! MiniTimmy2.jpg 

martinq357

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Good thread Riber. I've had my Cat 20 years too. I picked the kit up on the 11th August '99 (the day of the eclipse if that's significant!!??) and was on the road in 2001.

These things do become part of the family. All the kids have grown up with the yellow peril in the garage and if they can't find me in the house, they know where to find me! At one point, for financial reasons, I was talking about selling it but my wife wouldn't let me. One of the highlights of ownership for me was using it for the Le Mans Classic a couple of years ago.

It's been source of challenges and mods over the years. Probably the most obvious is the full cage but I spent a lot of time sorting the suspension out. It's fully poly bushed and I made delrin bushes and crush tubes for the rocker arms. There's also a huge list of tweeks that have taken place over the last two decades, the bravest was chopping the rear arches off... The interior is currently going through a rolling restoration.

I'm now at the point of engine upgrade options or do I build again...... To be honest, every time I walk into the garage and see it I think I'd really struggle to sell it and having spent so long sorting it, I'm not sure I'd want to.

Anyway, thank you Tiger Racing, happy birthday and best wishes for the future. Hopefully will be able to make the 31st.

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_0668.jpg (489.32 KB, 13 views)

riber3

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
THANK YOU Martinq357 for such a lovely reply and like you I have done the Le Mans thing but the thing I enjoyed most about that trip was crossing the Pont De Normandie in the early hours with all the lights across the bridge and towns in the distance. In fact if you ever get the chance the tunnels through the Swiss Alps down to Italy are great just listening to engine alone is worth it!!!

Well done on all the hard work & time you have put and you should receive a bravery medal for the arches but they look BRILLIANT!!!

So good to hear that your family have enjoyed the car as much as you and on the very odd  occasion when I thought about selling my better says don't you dare!!!
overdriver

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
So Martin it was your car I had to do a double take on at Stoneleigh a couple of years ago. On seeing your number plate I thought someone had resprayed mine yellow while I was at lunch. Oh, and moved it...... 40 odd miles as I went in the tin top that year! (Mine pictured a year later in 2018)

Michael.
DSC_0445 small.jpg  DSCF1459 small.jpg 

Spent it on fast women and loose cars.
Salzi

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Hallo, i'm from Poland. I'm the owner of Tiger cat e1. I build it in 2011. It took 2 years.
I would like to go to tiger 30th Anniversary meeting but it's too far for me.
Best regards
Marek Salzman
Salzi

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzi
Hallo, i'm from Poland. I'm the owner of Tiger cat e1. I build it in 2011. It took 2 years.
I would like to go to tiger 30th Anniversary meeting but it's too far for me.
Best regards
[73690913d499]
overdriver

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Mark, very nice looking car. I presume it's left hand drive and wondered how difficult it was to thread the steering column in on the left of a Pinto - as there's no exhaust on the left of the car I'd assumed that's what it is. Then I noticed there isn't any aperture for feeding air to the carbs on the left either. So now I'm wondering what engine you have.

I like the position of the mirrors. Do you get any 'shaking' from them being on the windscreen frame?

Michael.

Salzi

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriver
Hi Mark, very nice looking car. I presume it's left hand drive and wondered how difficult it was to thread the steering column in on the left of a Pinto - as there's no exhaust on the left of the car I'd assumed that's what it is. Then I noticed there isn't any aperture for feeding air to the carbs on the left either. So now I'm wondering what engine you have.

I like the position of the mirrors. Do you get any 'shaking' from them being on the windscreen frame?

Michael.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that..... Yes it's left hand drive, there is no problem to fit the steering column. It fits well under intake manifold. In Poland we use Parts from left hand drive Ford Sierra. I have 2,0 Pinto. I have modificatet intake manifold - fuel injection. The exhaust is on the left.
There is no mirror shaking. They are stiff.
[33c816aee0d3]
[a9d682be49d6]
[4b9f31b16ca9]
[77fc8d6a6f93]

Salzi

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
The exhaust is on the right of course :)
overdriver

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Ah, that explains it. I always assume that a Pinto will use carburettors and forget about the EFI versions. Old fashioned, that's my problem! Just to clarify, the exhaust is on the left (of the car).

Looks as though you are starting another project as well(?)

Michael

overdriver

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Correcting my correction and acknowledging yours, the exhaust is on the right of the car.

Thanks Marek, I need to go and have a lie down - feeling exhausted!

Michael.

Salzi

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriver

Looks as though you are starting another project as well(?)

Michael

Yes, we are.
We founded unfinished project Tiger Avon, we are going to build it with Zetec 2.0 engine.
Regards Marek
althecate1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
This made me think my Cat is not quite 20 ordered in August 1999 from Raw (Mel Coppocks) in Hereford who were the agents, took delivery of the kit in early December started in earnest Boxing Day. Registered September 2000.
Alec

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #14 
I'm exhausted too reading all that but lets have some more nice stories and memories of what you have done with your car.
A wedding? Birthday, road trip or other why not not share a joyous occasion we have all been some through some heartache at one time or another whether is getting that final bolt to slot home, the infamous clutch cable adjuster or testing your lights for the first time and it looks like a poor man's disco!!

Whatever it is lets enjoy and celebrate the good times!!
bjm305

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #15 
Good morning all. 24/10/99 deposit paid, then next month £4114.78 paid for the kit and I've loved every minute since
Highlights include picked up the now wife on first our first date, too Le Man.
Beating a brand new Porshe carrera s in a drag race.
Being my only car for two years including commuting to and from work.
Swapping the 2.1l pinto for a honda prelude 2.2 vtec.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #16 
Sounds like the Vtec is going to be a hoot are you going for a 6 speed box too!! and I am glad it has brought you many happy memories
bjm305

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #17 
Did the swap about 7 years ago now, it's got a mx5 gearbox but stuck with the 5 speed can't remember why think it's not as strong...? But did need the atlas Cortina axle which also offered the chance to put a capri 2.8 special lsd in which is much better. The atlas Cortina axle took some finding!

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #18 
Sorry I didn't realize that you had done the swap already. Nothing wrong with a 5 speed box but have been noticing a trend on now using the RX8 six speed box. Well done on finding the axle as you are right they are very difficult to come by
althecate1

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #19 
I didn’t realise the H22a engine spun the right way round , interesting.
Alec

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club