Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
alanwhale

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 

Hi,

Definitely light at the end of the tunnel.

MOT passed yesterday.

SVA passed next Tuesday!!!!  Err.  To be confirmed

Alan

azzacat

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #2 

Good luck Mate!!!!!!! Well done on the mot, Any comments?

vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwhale

Hi,

Definitely light at the end of the tunnel.

MOT passed yesterday.

SVA passed next Tuesday!!!!  Err.  To be confirmed

Alan

Fingers crossed for the SVA, at least all the mechanical bits are sorted after the MOT, found the SVA a weird process with very little real logic.

All those edges and distance bits and bobs but you are allowed a hot exhaust right beside the car, not covered or protected but must cover a nut tucked away in side the suspension ?

brettd

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #4 

Good luck Alan!

Just don't forget to take tie-wraps, nut covers, edging and enough spanners/sockets/scredrivers/pliers to get anything off the car and back on again.

One of my headlights failed on the way to the SVA, and I'd have been lost without my tools to open it up and fix it. Mind you, the car failed on other things anyway...

I also recommend that you take your copy of the SVA manual if you have one, just to make sure you can check the exact wording of any regs that he says you haven't met and satisfy yourself about it there and then. It's the only chance you'll get to challenge anything, and it could mean that you avoid a return trip and a retest fee.

I actually quite enjoyed the test, so look forward to it if you can.

Dave

alanwhale

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 

Thanks for the good wishes for Tuesday chaps.

The reason for my confident  “passed next Tuesday” comment is that it will be a retest. Booo

First test was Friday and as you suggest Dave I took huge amount trim, screws, ties and tools. It’s a good way I find for avoiding problems. Murphy’s Law says if you leave them behind you will probably need them and if you take them the chances are you wont.

Anyway sailed through the test without a hitch until the final item: Rear view mirrors. 

Fail.  Mirrors do not provide the required fields of view.

I had used the side mirrors that came with the kit, (short arm black plastic. Pic below) but as I haven’t a full screen they are attached lower than is possible with a full screen. The view to the rear they give is part obscured by the rear wing. No amount of pulling or twisting could sort them so that was that. The tester was nice enough and said that he had about an hour before his next test and if I could at least get a suitable mirror for the off side in that time he could issue a pass. Unfortunately Chelmsford is not the easiest place to do a quick shop so it was nearer two hours before we returned armed with a pair of mirrors by which time the fail had already been issued.

No good crying over spilt milk as they say so roll on Tuesday, then all being well I can tackle the DVLA for a reg. number and a tax disc.

Alan

vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 

Alan

I see you have painted the screen supports, did you prime them first as they are ali ?

Antony

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #7 

I used primer on mine before spraying with Hammerite smooth.

vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony

I used primer on mine before spraying with Hammerite smooth.

Any paticular primer ? I know that when my side panels were sprayed they had a special ali etch used.

alanwhale

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 

I used an aerosol spray metal primer but its not that clever on ali. Any chips or scrapes go straight to bare metal. They are OK at the moment time will tell how durable.

Alan

vji4058

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwhale

I used an aerosol spray metal primer but its not that clever on ali. Any chips or scrapes go straight to bare metal. They are OK at the moment time will tell how durable.

Alan

That's what concerns me, but do have some cans of clear laquer that might give it some protection, seems pointless using primer if it doesn't help it stick !

Garfield

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #11 

You need to use acid etch primer, available from car finishing suppliers.

You can get it from Halfords but it's £11 a spraycan! about double the finishers price

It is expensive but it works! Spray your ali with this and the paint sticks like s*#t to a blanket 

John

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club