Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
aaronguy1986

New User - Not A Club Member
Reply with quote  #1 

Hi all,

By way as a quick intro, im based in Peterborough and bought a Super Six back in May which has made the long hot summer even more enjoyable!

Whilst out recently (but luckily only a mile or so from home) a grinding/crunching noise started somewhere in the drivetrain.  Ive taken the car out again and it sounds as though its coming form the gearbox.  The noise occurs in 4th and 5th gears when coming on and off the power and also constantly whenever the clutch is put down over 30/40mph in any gear.  

Ive got no experience of gearbox issues so can only assume this might be something like the input/output shaft bearing.  Is anyone familiar with this and advise where the issue is likely to be coming from?  Could the issue be diff related rather than gearbox?   

The car has a silver top Zetec, type 9 gearbox and cable operated clutch.  There has been a small leak coming from the gearbox when the car has been driven but not when stored - i think it is coming from the front (bellhousing) end but cant say for sure.  Ive put the odd 1/4 litre of oil in the box so confident it has never been too low, but guess this could also be a sign of a failing bearing? 

Any help is massively appreciated.  Thanks, Aaron

Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Most times it is the Bulk Rings that fail on the gearbox which make it hard to change gear.

The only way to sort the issue you have is to probably take the Engine and Gearbox out to investigate the problem.

On the bright side at least it is the end of the summer and almost time to lay the car up for the winter.

Gazza  

New User - Not A Club Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Cheers Gazza,

Yeh, kind of good timing but you always want one more drive before the winter break!!

Although i do get the noise when changing gear over about 30/40mph, changing gear is still as easy as ever and the noise also happens when coming on and off the accelerator when NOT changing gear.  Would the baulk rings still be the likely cause given this?

Either way, it sounds as though the gearbox needs to come out.  Is it easier to drop the gearbox out the bottom or is this not possible at all given the limited space between the tunnel/bulk head and the only option therefore is to pull the engine and box together?
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Aaron,

The best and easiest way is to remove the engine and gearbox as a single unit as there isnt enough space to split the units.

I have used AI Gearbox in St Neots in the past as they will be local to you in Peterborough and will also collect and drop off.

http://www.gearboxesstneots.co.uk

It is hard to say about noise from my gearbox as it is a straight cut gearbox and is always making a lot of noise anyway.

If you do take the gearbox out ask A1 to drill and fit a drain plug in the bottom of the gearbox casing.

The other mod that I would recommend is to fit a vented top cover as you can then use the vent point to fill the gearbox rather than having to take out the car seats to be able to remove the tunnel. 

If you have a road car with carpets that is another job to get to the tunnel.

So the above mods will pay for themselves and make much easier in the future.

Gazza  

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club