Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
riber3

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Going to change out my front brake flexy's and don't want to make a mess and leak brake fluid over my bodywork etc so any good tips before I start would be most welcome,

TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #2 
The way I would do it would be to remove the reservoir cap.

Disconnect the brake caliper end first, drain the fluid into a container and when it has stopped, disinfect the other end.
riber3

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the reply and for the advice I would have though cling film over the reservoir first and by starting at the caliper end wouldn't that mean taking the caliper off first so the flexy could be unscrewed??
snippy

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Depending on your hose fitting at caliper end yes you may need to unbolt caliper, loosen off flexi hose and then rotate the caliper to wind it down the thread. If your new hoses have the swivel fittings each end it will make it much easier when refitting as you can bolt the caliper back in place first.
I`ve actually just done this and fitted slightly longer hoses on the front. I ordered new hoses with swivel fittings each end. It`s inevitable you will lose some brake fluid but have everything ready to do the job with plenty of tissues and it takes only a couple of minutes per side to swap the hoses over so fluid loss is minimal. I ordered my hoses from Furore Products.

TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #5 
Not draining the fluid and creating a vacuum in the system would work, just do one side at a time to maintain the vacuum.

Sorry, I made the assumption you were doing both at the same time.

In either case, its probably worth doing a fluid change once the hoses have been changed as you've got to bleed them anyway.
riber3

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOC_Admin
Not draining the fluid and creating a vacuum in the system would work, just do one side at a time to maintain the vacuum.

Sorry, I made the assumption you were doing both at the same time.

In either case, its probably worth doing a fluid change once the hoses have been changed as you've got to bleed them anyway.
Thanks TOC yes will be changing both but doing one at a time  followed by a full bleed with new fkuid
riber3

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snippy
Depending on your hose fitting at caliper end yes you may need to unbolt caliper, loosen off flexi hose and then rotate the caliper to wind it down the thread. If your new hoses have the swivel fittings each end it will make it much easier when refitting as you can bolt the caliper back in place first.
I`ve actually just done this and fitted slightly longer hoses on the front. I ordered new hoses with swivel fittings each end. It`s inevitable you will lose some brake fluid but have everything ready to do the job with plenty of tissues and it takes only a couple of minutes per side to swap the hoses over so fluid loss is minimal. I ordered my hoses from Furore Products.

Thanks for your reply and advice I just looked at Furore Products useful site and I wish I had thought about swivel fittings damm !!! as I ordered 2 new stainless steel flexy's from Tiger which are slightly longer than their originals but is the new standard
riber3

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
Replaced the pipes rebled the calipers and wasn't as bad as I thought. The only thing of note was on the old pipes that had brass security nuts on so had to take care when removing them. Many thanks to everyone for all the help
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club