Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
leegav

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #1 
Well in the process of upgrading my r6 ive decided to scrap the external swirlpot idea and go for a custom fuel tank with fuel collector inside. The fuel collecter has a 1 way valve to let fuel in and not let it out... 

My question is does anyone have a set of dimensions for an old r6 fuel tank that is bigger than 20 litres like mine currently is. I may as well make it bigger if im having one made, but dont have the resources to get the car to the shop thats building it.
i just want to order it and fit myself you see.. 
is there an angle to the section nearest the diff? 
thanks in advance
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Lee,

Give Paul a call at Tiger Racing, they had a larger tank made up for my car which goes almost to the top of the rear covered area.

Including the swirl pot I can carry 9 gallons.

Paul will be able to put you straight on what you can do and I guess if you are changing the body work as part of your upgrades now is the idea time to do it.

Best Regards,

Gazza

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #3 
thanks gary,
ive measured the tank and unless im making a huge boo boo. the tank should carry 29.6 litres that i currently have.
ive never been able to put that in, and ive squeezed in 22 at max from fully empty.. 
could the fuel sender dip be short and register as empty when there is actually 8 litres still in the tank? 
i though the old r6 was different to the newer ones and there big tanks wouldnt fit? 
Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi again Lee,

The R6 tank is a rectangle shape but Paul at Tiger Racing took the top of the tank up and then angled back so it fits in line with the back of the car.

From memory it was in the region of £200 mark with the tank being foam filled to stop any free surface effect with the fuel moving around.

You could also ask about having a tube type sender for the fuel levels rather than the normal float type that you have now.

Gazza 

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #5 
ive just spoken with pro alloy... nice chaps.

they have quoted around 600 quid inc vat for a 30l tank, foam filled, VDO tube sender and gauge, an6 connectors for HP return, roll valve breather baffles and and there internal one way collector which does away with the need for an external swirl pot. 

think that's reasonable for what you get. 
leegav

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #6 
http://www.proalloy.co.uk/index.htm

Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Lee, 

The work they do certainly looks impressive but so is the price for just a extra 1.5 gallons of fuel.

The standard R6 tank is about 5 gallons = 22.5 ltr where the new one you are talking about is 30 ltr = 6.6 gallons.

The Tiger Racing built for me was 40 ltr = 9 gallons

Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
i just had a rectangular box welded on top of the existing tank - and that wasn't even maximised in terms of taking advantage of every inch - and that works out at a shade over 38 litres, could easily have got 40-42.
600 notes seems a tad excessive Lee??
Dick/Neil/Phil had tanks made up by Martin Keenan who was going to do mine, and i think they only paid £250 or so?

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #9 
the tank includes an internal collector with one way valves that removes the need for an external swirlpot. 
an6 or jic connectors
and a VDO tube sender plus gauge

if you remove the
internal collecter system 75
VDO tube sender and Gauge 100
an6 connectors 30
Foam  40

you come up with a price £360 which for a spanking new tank isnt that bad considering the quality, and if i produce an in tank fuel pump they will stick that in correctly for the same price.  I dont want to carry 40 liters for the weight and hopefully should be getting 30mpg with the itbs anyway so 30 litres is plenty.. 

funnily enough my current tank is 30 litres not 20 litres like i always assumed as per the measurements of 19cm x 22cm x 71cm , but the gauge always read empty too early as i could only ever get max 22 in from empty which means the sender float was too short or the resistor was bust inside.. 
i did a ohms test yesterday and i was getting readings of 015 full and 257 empty. 

i could have save alot of money by keeping the tank and fitting a swirl pot but i cannot find a suitable place to fit one in my car.. it would have to be in the bottome of the footwell. theres no room on the battery tray at all with my current set up. 

i always said when and if i upgrade my car i will try and get the most reliable i can...for durability and reliabilty.. i think minimum appliances between tank and fule rail will help this.. 
thats my thinking behind this.. 

Gazza

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Lee,

I hope that you do get the 30 mpg you indicate, I know that when I had the tuned Zetec it was very thirsty when used hard which is why I had to get a biger tank made for the 40 min races with the Classic Sports Car Club.

At Cadwell Park and Brands Hatch I would get +/- 8 mpg and at Snetterton it would fall further to 6 mpg.

Tiger Racing fitted a 2 ltr swirl pot by the left rear wheel where it was bolted to one of the chassis rails, the other problem I had was the original square facet fuel pump couldnt keep up so it had to be changed for the bigger one.

Keep the pictures coming when you start your project.

Gazza 

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #11 
Fuel tank finalised today with Chris from Pro alloy...

Walbro internal 250GSS fuel pump
Internal anti surge fuel collector (removes need for swirl pot)
AN-6 inlet and outlets
Roll valve breather
Tank straps instead of brackets
internal foam
Tube VDO fuel sender and matching OHMs Fuel dash gauge

2015-11-02 16.26.54.jpg 

leegav

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #12 
just to keep everyone up to date the fuel tank has arrived and is amazing quality.. not cheap but everything is built inside.. so minimal hoses and attachments outside the tank... heres a couple of photos...
went from a  few drawings on scrap paper to the finished product.. 
excellent customer support all the way.. anyone has any questions about there build or design give me a shout. would recommend pro alloy to anyone.. 
20151126_195029.jpg 
20151126_195023.jpg 
20151126_195041.jpg 
20151126_195033.jpg  20151030_124427.jpg  drawing 2.jpg 

TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #13 

Looking good, my only observations are based on the sketches and not what I can see in the pictures...

When I had my tank made, I was advised against having mounts welded to the tank as vibrations are passed straight through them causing point stresses, which in turn can lead to splitting of the tank at the mounting points and resulting in leaking fuel.

As I said, it's not clear in the pictures if you do have these mounting brackets, or whether you have strap style mounts, but just thought it useful to mention.

leegav

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #14 
Hi.. thanks for the observation. Yes my design was to fit brackets on and pro alloy told me what you just said. if you look on the previous photo the design shows straps which was the final design... :-)
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #15 
I could see a strap, but was not sure whether this was in addition or instead of the brackets.

I would have hated for something to happen if it did have brackets and I'd not mentioned it.

As I said, it's looking good too.
leegav

Forum Donor 2015
Reply with quote  #16 
thankyou.
yes it is a very nice peice of engineering. will post some photos when its on the car in a week or two.. cars currently at simpson racing.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club