Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
nelmo2

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #1 
I know from another thread to just use the standard Ford Dipstick with my ERA sump and 2.0L Zetec but I've fitted mine and it feels like I had to force it along the windage tray (it is definitely bent), so all it will show is if the oil level is on/above that tray (I wish I had tried it before fitting the sump).

Is that OK? Should the oil level be below that tray or OK to be above? I believe the idea is to keep the level away from the thrashing big ends otherwise you just get whisked oil which isn't good?

Not added oil yet, BTW... A month or so from starting the engine for the first time.
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #2 
The maximum oil level should be below the windage tray.

Look at the following picture which is a Zetec engine I stripped down, mounted upside down on my engine stand:

zetec-dipstick.jpg 

The dipstick should be straight.  It goes into the arrowed hole, out of the other side and then there is a metal piece to help guide it (towards the bottom right of the red line) and then through the cut-out in the windage tray (towards the top right of the red line).

I don't see how the dipstick could hit the windage tray, and am pretty confident if you could fit the windage tray the wrong way round, you then wouldn't be able to get the sump on.

It's not hitting some baffling within the ERA sump is it?

IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
On my 2.0 blacktop with ERA sump fitted, the dipstick is the same length as normal and does not catch anywhere. The only difference is that a further 'full mark' has been etched into the stick a little further up the stick. 
nelmo2

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #4 
That's a different windage tray to mine:

https://goo.gl/photos/uYWDhN6TuuE8DciX9

Dipstick comes in from the left and feels like it is sliding down the curved side of that tray.
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #5 
The picture I posted is the standard Ford one.

The one you have looks like a home built version - I don't have an ERA sump, so don't know if this the something Tiger do, but others such as Raceline use the original Ford one.

That might be why you're having a problem if there is no cutout for the dipstick to pass through.

With regards to making a new mark for the maximum oil level, this is a very bad idea.  The original maximum oil level is marked so the bottom of the crank doesn't splash into the oil and cause small air bubbles to form, foaming up the oil (this is called cavitation) as this makes the oil less effective at cooling and lubricating surfaces.

Early advice when shortening a sump was to put the same volume of oil in the shortened sump and and mark the dipstick at the new level.  In actual fact, by filling above the original maximum mark and making the mark higher, you risk causing cavitation and reducing the effectiveness of the oil to the point of causing excessive engine wear and potentially premature failure.

What you should be doing is using the original maximum mark, but changing the oil more frequently than you would if you still have the full capacity.
nelmo2

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #6 
It's what Tiger supply with their ERA sump - I'll give them a call on Monday....
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 

This is how it was when I bought the car and I was told by Tiger Racing that that was the mark I should fill too. I have no reason to doubt this.

I am not a mechanic, but as I understand it, when the engine is running there is minimal oil in the sump anyway. It is being pumped around the engine and the engine itself needs a given volume of oil. I stand to be corrected.
rickwatton

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
I personally wouldn't fill above the original max mark on the stick as per the reasons stated above
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
I will give Paul a ring on Monday for advice. I am doubting what I have been told now. However, for the last couple of years I have been running with the oil at the upper scribe mark with no problems.
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #10 
Raceline's latest instructions suggest filling with 5 litres of oil and remarking the dipstick.

This gives the new maximum level halfway between the original minimum and maximum levels on the dipstick, so they aren't recommending you go above the original dipstick value either.
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOC_Admin
Raceline's latest instructions suggest filling with 5 litres of oil and remarking the dipstick.

This gives the new maximum level halfway between the original minimum and maximum levels on the dipstick, so they aren't recommending you go above the original dipstick value either.

That has confused me even more. 5 Litres would have me way above the standard marks and the new, etched mark?????
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #12 
Raceline's sump holds a lot more capacity than the ERA one, my point was they're saying don't overfill it.
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #13 
Ahh, that's a relief lol.
pauld

Trader
Reply with quote  #14 
Put new sump on from dry including filter fill with 4 ltrs of oil run, remark dip stick .and take it from the people that have been doing it for over 20 years it will be fine if it's going to be a race / heavy track day car some extra baffling. Or fit a track day sump I'e race line would be recommended. But for fast road Amuter track day it will be fine
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #15 
Cheers Paul. I was sure that was what you had told me and 4 ltrs does in fact put it at the higher etched mark. Glad to know I am not going to blow a gasket.
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #16 
Is the etched mark you're talking about higher than the original Ford maximum mark?
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #17 
it is.
TOC_Admin

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #18 
Don't worry, as Paul says "it'll be fine" overfilling with oil and Ford, Raceline, Dunnell, Scholar etc. are all wrong [biggrin]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club