Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Crouching_Tiger1

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all, just getting round to fitting my windscreen after years of living with a fly screen. Offered up glass to Grove in dash top. The glass touches at two ends with a massive gap in the middle. Have I got the wrong glass or do I need to cut holes in Body?
Can't find any mention of this in manual.
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm no expert, but I had exactly the same problem with my screen (when I had one fitted, more about that later). I was told at the time that they are all like that unless you have one specifically made to fit your car.

I found that to make mine fit, I first ran a bead of screen sealant in the groove on the bodywork. I allowed this to begin curing for a little while whilst I got on with fitting the side supports to the frame and fitted the glass in the assembled frame, again with a thin bead of sealant. I used duct tape, from the glass, over the frame and back to the other side of the glass to keep it in place as I lifted the screen and frame into position on the bodywork.

The screen settled into the sealant in the groove as I fitted the side supports, filling all the small gaps. The little excess sealant that was forced out was easily trimmed back.

When all was dry I ran a further bead of sealant along the edge of the screen and groove which I smoothed and finished with the corner of an old credit card, to give a very neat finish.

Now, have you been in a tiger with a screen?  I found that the screen made whole driving experience much less comfortable. Not only does the screen act like a huge air dam it also produces turbulent air behind the screen, enough in my case to shake my head so much that vision became effected at speed.

You will also need to fit wipers. Not that they are any good, go out in the rain and the turbulent air will carry water droplets to the inside surface of the screen as well. You might fit weather gear to stop this, it doesn't. What it does do (apart from keeping you and the passenger a little drier) is make the screen mist up, so now you need demisters.

I found that the whole screen and weather gear experience was just a pain in the arse. So I ditched the lot and fitted an aero-screen. made such a difference to the whole car. So much better to drive now even in the wet, as long as you are on the move. Looks better as well.

Anyway I hope that helps. These are just my opinions and I am sure others will come along with differing ideas.  
Crouching_Tiger1

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for your post, unfortunately the gap in the middle is about 30mm so no amount of silicone is going to help
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Is the screen from Tiger?
Crouching_Tiger1

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #5 
Yep, screen came with kit
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Best I can offer in that case is give them a call.
Crouching_Tiger1

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #7 
So I take it no one knows has had this issue before
IanR6

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #8 
You may find it can take several days to get your answer. I check the site almost every day, others not so often.

Ring Paul at Tiger. He will give you the answer in no time at all. 01945 466200.
Crouching_Tiger1

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #9 
Many thanks for your help IanR6.
johnscat01

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #10 
Hello
I seem to recall I had to cut  out the ends of the groove so it fit better .
but check with tiger 1st as it was 18 years  ago :-)
John
TigresTDI

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #11 
got a tiger cat xl and put on the screenholders inside the scuttle
looks better then the piece alloy on the outside.
102_0161.JPG 
gr Martin

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club