Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Bakerwoodlands

Forum Donor 2018
Reply with quote  #1 
I am struggling with leg room in my newly acquired Avon with seat fully back. One option seems to be replace top mounted peddles with floor mounted. I wondered if anyone has experience of doing this. Floor mounted peddle boxes with cable operated clutch seem readily available and reasonable priced and only issue I can see so far is removing GRP box around existing peddles, previous owner had fitted box and lid. Thanks.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
I did with the help of a mate who can weld, it took a while. I have a Cat, I needed the engine out to get access and put the car on imy chassis stand to get height. The floor in our opinion needed reinforcing with a steel plate welded to the chassis to mount the OBP pedal box, we also moved it forward gaining another 25 mm. I managed to, neatly cut back the aluminium floor for the steel plate. Also new brake lines and brake light switch. New ally firewall to close off the engine bay need to be done.
The clutch pedal and box will need work to fit a clutch cable, holes need drilling and you need to do similar for the throttle cable.
I would say removing the fibreglass cover is the easiest job. But it's doable but took time to complete.
Are your current pedals already modified to maximise the space? They do need cutting and rewelding to make them a flat profile.

Alec

Forum Donor 2018
Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you for the advice. I suppose the question I should have asked was "has it been worth it". I have checked the peddles and still seem to have a slight crank to them, as I will have to remove anyway to fit the floor mounted peddles I will check and adjust if possible before going for the new peddle set. The previous owner/builder, in my opinion, did a fantasist job and seems to have already put a reinforcing plate at the bottom of the drivers foot well so at least one job done. If I could ask for a little more advice please. The fibreglass box that covers the peddles, clutch ratchet etc. The cover comes off with around 8-10 screws no problem and I have found more around the base of the box itself but still does not want move - does the brake master cylinder also hold it on? I see you have used a OBP peddle set which I was hoping to do but did not appreciate that the engine needed to come out although I have a zetec so will check room. I notice that tiger racing sell separate floor mounted brake and clutch peddles with cable etc, did you consider and discount these? It will be a winter project so baby steps but wanted to get as much advice as I can before stripping. Thanks again for reply. Martin.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
The reason for having to remove the engine and gearbox is so you have lots of space to get to the bulkhead to carry out the mods as you will probably have to weld a plate across the forward side of the bulk head at the bottom for the brake master cylinder or cylinders if installing a bias system.

You will also have to think about the way in which the throttle cable is going to have to run as at the moment with the lever at the top you push the throttle pedal and the section above the pivot point pulls the throttle cable to open the throttles.

If the the pedal is floor mounted the throttle cable is not longer pulling it is pushing.

I have attached some pictures of the First Pedal Box we got from Comp Brake which we sent back for a number of reasons but mainly because it wouldnt fit far enough forward in the foot well as there was no cut out for the bottom chassis rail.

We then ordered the Comp Brake Pedal Box for Kit Cars which had a cut out for the lower chassis rail but this was then heavily modified by Siltech Racing to get it to fit. 

I have attached some pictures of my installation which was for a Duratec some it had a hydraulic clutch and a electronic Drive by Wire Throttle but it still took some head scratching to get it all to work.

If you are going to go to all this work it will be worth looking at fitting a Brake Bias system to the car as you can then regulate the fluid going to either the front brakes or the rears.

If you dont feel that this something you are happy to take on I can recommend Siltech Racing as they are the ones responsible for how the car looks now.

Best Regards,

Gazza   

Attached Images
jpeg 20170512_171752.jpg (543.89 KB, 12 views)
jpeg Siltech Racing Pedal Box with Brake Bias.jpg (155.11 KB, 11 views)
jpeg Tiger Racing - Set up.jpg (79.19 KB, 11 views)
jpeg Front Bulk Head for modified Steering Column.jpg (86.24 KB, 10 views)
jpeg 20170512_171738.jpg (98.27 KB, 10 views)
jpeg 20170428_161617.jpg (94.58 KB, 10 views)
jpeg 20170422_172812.jpg (94.88 KB, 10 views)
jpeg 20170401_123343.jpg (98.49 KB, 10 views)
jpeg Comp Brake Pedal Box - 1.jpg (65.42 KB, 11 views)
jpeg Comp Brake Pedal Box - 2.jpg (52.59 KB, 12 views)

MarkCopsey

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, I did this in my Avon and gained the space I needed. Mine already had a steal plate in the footwell and I think it will depend on age whether your does have. It does take a bit of fiddling, but I didn't need to take the engine out. You will need to:

1) Change the brake lines and reroute as the master cylinder will be lower.
2) Need to change brake light switch (I used a pressure switch in the brake line as it was easier).
3) Other changes for clutch and throttle cable.

It is worth doing but I would suggest a bit of a project rather than a days work (unless you are a mechanic).

Mark

Forum Donor 2018
Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you all for your help and advice, much appreciated. based on your comments I am going to strip out the old after taking some pictures and measurements for travel etc. and then have a good look round. Interesting comments over throttle direction, I suppose I might have the same issue with clutch but no doubt there are things out there to overcome both, fingers crossed. Thanks again all. Martin
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2018 Tiger Owners Club