Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Edward_Roots

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
Good Evening, 

Just wondered if anyone is able to help at all, apologies for all the question but the Super Six is off the road for the winter - so thought I would get it in good shape for the spring/summer. 

• Removing the seats, I'm trying to remove the seats (I can do the drivers as it is on a slider.) But the passenger seat the nuts keep spinning, is there a tip to get these removed? They have loosened a bit, but now won't undo. I've got no problem grinding these off, but just want to make sure they are replaceable once they are ground off and not actually part of the seat? Also if they need grinding, does anyone know the correct ones for replacement? as I presume these will need to be hi tensile.
  • Handbrake adjustment, my handbrake at the moment is very slack and also I don't believe the rear brakes are very active once depressed because of this. I've taken the drums off but can't see any obvious way to adjust these? Can this only be done on the block where the cables join?
  • Chassis painting, whats a good product to use? I've heard mixed reviews regarding just hammerite to if there is a preferred not to pricey alternative at all?
  • Diff/Gearbox Oil, whats the best to use? As I know type 9's are sensitive as to what oil is used. Also do you know the quantities that each take? Also as I plan to drain the diff through the back plate - is a gasket required on re fitting, or is it best to use some form of silicon gasket? 
  • Gear Selector Bush, there is a bit of slack in the gear change - which I believe could be down to the common failure of the bush. How do I get access to this bush? is it through the transmission tunnel?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance 

Ed 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
If you can't get to the top of the bolts then you will have to cut them off. Can you get to them to wedge a screw driver in there to stop them spinning and therefore be able to undo them?

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Ed,

Regarding the gear selector bush, there's a recent thread on this (see "Type 9 remote gear hangs query"). I took the top off the transmission tunnel, from where I could access the three bolts holding the gear lever on to the remote (and another three bolts for the remote onto the gearbox). Undo the bolts, remove the gear lever, pop out the bush, stick the new one in, re-assembly is the reverse of removal. Bush replacement took about 30 mins all in, and resulted in a much improved gear change.

Not sure what your rear drum setup is, but mine has the standard Sierra drums which are self adjusting. You have to release the adjuster with a screwdriver to get the drums off, and then pump the handbrake for the self adjuster to re-apply.

Not sure what seats you have, but in my Tiger the main squabs for the seat base pop up (they are held down with velcro) to reveal the retaining nuts.

Hope some of this helps,
Ed

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #4 
Just for confirmation - the Super Six (unless a VERY late one) has the cortina drum disks and didn't have the self adjuster. I think there were adjusters built into the system by winding the nut against the locator brackets which put more tension in the cables - but it was a long time ago!!

Take some pic's and post and we might be able to guide you more.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Hello

Appreciate the replies, didn't even think that the seats could be velcro so I will have a look when I next get a chance to get into the garage. Also will try and get some pictures of the rear brakes when next in the garage 😉 

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club