Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #1 
I think I’m going to need something faster than a pinto in the Tiger, I know I can go bananas and spend a £2-3k getting the pinto quick but am I better off getting an ST170 lump or something similar? And then I’ve gotta learn all the ignition mapping stuff. Could be a busy winter! 😁
Tony_T70

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #2 
Hello,

I have been thinking about replacing the pinto in my Tiger Cat, which Tiger do you have? I have started a thread about replacing the engine, might be worth a look, some good information from other members. I started looking at a 2.0 Zetec, but this would mean changing the exhaust to the passenger side, the other option is the Duratec engine, exhaust is on the same side as the pinto. If fitting a Zetec I did consider fitting bike carbs and a Nordiz Pro for the ignition system which from Youtube videos looks really easy to fit.

Tony 

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Tony I’ll have a good look. I have the E1 Tiger. 👍
daytona

Banned
Reply with quote  #4 
Just a little note on fuel supply.
Nascar spend quite a lot of moeny on development and when comparing carbs against fuel injection they found carbs produce more power at high RPMs and very similar results lower down.
Abe

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #5 
Duly noted thanks Gordon 👍
Wigster

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
Is there any reason you couldn't put carbs onto a Duratec? 
After all, as long as you're getting the fuel in there, if the spark is at the right time, it should still run (?)
Wigster

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigster
Is there any reason you couldn't put carbs onto a Duratec? 
After all, as long as you're getting the fuel in there, if the spark is at the right time, it should still run (?)

Posted too quickly......

Don't know what carb(s) you've got on the Pinto, but could they be adapted with jet changes etc for the more modern engine? 

If you go injection, there's a lot to change:
- Return fuel lines
- New fuel tank (?) 
- New ECU
- High pressure fuel pump? 
- New exhaust, with cat convertor, lambda sensor, etc

Don't forget the rest of the drivetrain as well. If you're going from Pinto to Duratec, you'll probably want to change the gearbox at least (if it would fit the Duratec). 

I did wonder about all of this when there was the scare that new builds would need to meet today's emission standards, and thought that if that happened, I'd rather go down the bike engine route. You have to rev them, but you'll get 150+ bhp in a tiny, compact, self contained unit that weighs a fraction of a zetec + MT75 gearbox. 

daytona

Banned
Reply with quote  #8 
All carbs do the same thing deliver a fuel/air mix. Some do it better than others.
There is no reason why you couldn't put carbs on a Duratec. Emission vary a lot on temperature. This is why some lambda sensors have heaters. Excess fuel does not do an engine any good. From cylinder wall wash to polution.
If you do decide to pur carbs on it is a good idea to also install alambda sensor to monitor fuel/air ratios. Looking at a plug is just a snapshot and does not give you the full range of mixtures.
bjm305

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #9 
I put a honda prelude engine in, but it's not an easy job.. however it cost me £500 gives me 8000rpm 200hp as standard but with a home made header, no air conditioning, power steering etc. You'll get 265hp.
Recommend you find an atlas Cortina axle for stronger half shafts ! The bad news is the engine runs backwards so the rear axle is up side down! Again not for the faint hearted but great fun making all fit together.

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #10 
Sounds mad, I love it! Impressive engineering, well done bud. May need to pick your brains at some point! Lol
bjm305

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Abe no problem any time. To me that's what kit cars are all about, making something fun out of stuff! I'm sure there are better engines out there now.... at the right price that is!

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #12 
I've got a Duratec on GSXR1000 TB, Omex 600 in mine 197bhp. Great engine but not cheap to install as you need a different bellhousing, shortened sump, etc. No reason you can't use carbs though. If you went fuel injection you'd need a return to you fuel tank. 
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club