Welcome to the Tiger Owners Club

Home - Forum - Links - Downloads - Privacy Policy

Author   Comment  
panda_pilot

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #1 
I went straight to the DVLA on Tues after my car passed its SVA and handed them all the paperwork. The bloke there siad "we will send your registration docs in the post with your tax in the next 2-3 weeks".

I get a letter this morning saying that before my application can be process they need to inspect it at a VOSA centre about 30 miles from my house and I cant drive it there!

What a pain in the a**e!!!! At no point during the paperwork checking at the office did the bloke mention having to take it anywhere!

GRRRRRR!!!

Andy
fisherpl

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #2 
I'd agree.

Sent my V5 off for a change of engine capacity and heard nothing after 6 weeks so I rang and was told it had not been received at DVLA. Sent a copy registered post and 10 days later got two correct V5s' on consecutive days!

So much for their clever system "that scans and records all documents received by DVLA"

BobCat

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #3 
Andy

I know rules change all the time, but I believe the inspection can be done by either VOSA or by the Police. Also that is some cases they will come to you.

This could all be totally wrong but call VOSA and see what can be done.

Yes the DVLA are, but my dealings with VOSA so far have been very help full. Unfortunately VOSA and the DVLA don't talk to each other.

To others going through this sometimes VOSA will do the inspection at the same time as SVA if the guy who does it is free.
peterbarfield

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #4 
To be fair their own rules can be confusing and we are a tiny minority of what they have to deal with. It's no surprise they don't know what they're doing fully.
contaminated

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #5 

As above really - I'm sure that inspection can be done at your home.

Ade_B

Registered Users
Reply with quote  #6 
I've never understood why VOSA have to inspect the car, which entails looking at your VIN plate!  You wouldn't be able to register your car in the first place without the MAC certificate, and to get your MAC certificate the examiner has to verify your VIN plate.  I guess I'm just missing the point!!! 

Ade

Raceline Water Rail. Webcon Alpha.
Powerspeed exhaust. (NOW SOLD)

New car: MGA 1600 MKII

"Growing Old is Compulsory..........Growing Up is Optional"
gilesc

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #7 
It keeps the paper pushers employed and annoys the plebs!

Norwich IVA will now only do one car per day! So after the bank holiday Jim is taking on Tuesday a Cat back for retest (emissions only), on Wednesday an R6, and on Thursday the Aviator.

p.s. this means the Cat is IVA compliant and the R6 should be as well. The biggest visible change is he is putting the front indicators on top of the cycle wings to make it easier to comply with the angle regulations.

MikeLR

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #8 
From what I understand indicators on the from wing are a fail as they are movable !
or should I say that a Tiger with indicators on the front wings failed the IVA.
Mike

BobCat

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #9 
I spoke to Jim last year about mounting them on the cycle wings and he persuaded me not to. The reason being that they have to be viewed at 45 degrees, even with the wheel turned the other way.

Gentlemen do we have proof that Jim changes his mind?
rcdunk

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #10 

yeh agree with mike the side repeters cannot be fitted to the front wings as they cannot be seen from the correct angle's when the lock is applied you cannot fit them to the side as normal as they will be too far in and do not meet the requirements only place they will meet the iva specs are on the indicators but no one does a rear view side mirror that the indicator can be seen from the rear there are loads of them that face forward but you cannot see them from behind which is the main requirements for iva so we made a set fingers crossed re test today  

oh just a note we got failed on the indicators on the front wings got home to my copy of one of the kit car mags that had splashed on the front cover of a caterham with the indicators on the front wings and claims inside that it is fully iva passable . was not impressed taking it with me today and am going to ask them why lol

as for the dvla problem it is true they dont tell you that your car will need to b inspected but the should come to your house to look at it they have done for a few I have built but do remember that I did drive the first one to them and just played the "I didnt know card they inspected it stopped at halfords on the way home and picked up a set of plates lol

madthing id you can drive it to your iva test without plates and even to some where to have iva retifiction work done as long as you are insured and have an appointment to where you are going

the main problem though is that the dvla and vosa do not in any way talk to each other (goverment run departments eh )
rcdunk

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #11 

just to update supercat passed iva test yesterday  job done now to dvla to register

MikeLR

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #12 
Rcdunk.
Out of interest how did you solve the indicator problem?
Mike

rcdunk

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #13 

mounted a pair of indicators to the bottom of the wing mirror looks ok but would like to sorce something a bit better lol

BobCat

Account Disabled
Reply with quote  #14 
The indicators have to be at least 350mm high and less the 400mm from the outside edge. They must also be visible at angle of 45 degrees from the opposite side.

My solution was the 120mm stalk indicators from SVA. The CAT is about 1500mm wide at the front and the nose is 500mm of that so that places my indicators at 380mm from the edge.

Because of the extra length I mounted through the nose cone to 3mm thick plate. I'll try to dig up some photos.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2000-2019 Tiger Owners Club